Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AS/400 DATA TRANSFER (.FDF file)

Hi,

What is PC file description file. When setting up data transfer to AS/400 it asks for some .FDF file.

When doing data transfer to iSeries under PC file name should I mention an .FDF file or the name of the Excel file that I am trying to upload.

It's all hodge-podge....can somebody clarify things what is all this.
    (iSeries Access for Windows doesn't explain that much in the Help).

One more thing...when doing data upload through Excel Add-In I saved the data transfer request and file definition but 'regular' data transfer doesn't accept that .fdf file. I don't know what is what...

I just want to upload an Excel file (with 4 columns). I already have a physical file defined on AS/400 side with the same fields. Can somebody just put in simple words how to do it simply and efficiently. I am new to as/400.

Thanks
    Tasho

Re: AS/400 DATA TRANSFER (.FDF file)

1) Create a Data transfer From Iseries. This is from the Actions on the menu bar on Client access. Download the file as CSV. Save the FDF.

2) Open Excel file and copy and paste the data into the CSV file from above.

3) Create a Data Transfer To ISeries. This is from the actions on the menu bar on Client access. Use the CSV file and the FDF from # 1.

To automate this, create an Excel macro to export the excel file to CSV, then run the TFR file from # 3.

Roger?
    Hunting down the future ms. Ex DeadManWalks. *certain restrictions apply

Comment

If you don't have the FDF created yet, data transfer will create on the fly. The FDF defines what the PC file looks like (numeric fields vs char fields, etc). It also gives you a chance to customize it. If you download first (as DeadMan suggests) it builds it for you the way the iSeries file will expect it.

I not sure what you mean by "regular" file transfer. If you mean the batch transfer rxferpcb then this will also use the FDF.

Comment

Thank you all very much!!

Regards,
        Tasho

Comment

Working...
        X