Run SQL Scripts Without Starting iSeries Navigator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Run SQL Scripts Without Starting iSeries Navigator

Apologies to Jonas, but I never got the hang of F.R.O.G. And the Data Perspective in WDSC requires that WDSC be installed and running. I just needed a way to quickly run ad-hoc SQL queries, over DB2 on the System i, from PCs that may or may not have WDSC and/or F.R.O.G. installed, but have iSeries Access for Windows (like terminal servers at client sites).

Creating a Shortcut to "Run SQL Scripts":
    1. Right-click your Windows desktop.
    2. Select "New > Shortcut".
    3. Click the "Browse" button.
    4. Navigate to "C:\Program Files\IBM\Client Access\Shared\cwbundbs.exe". Select this file, then click "OK".
    5. Click Next.
    6. Type "Run SQL Scripts" (or whatever you want to call it), and click "Finish".

Now, whenever you need to "STRSQL" from your PC desktop, just double-click the new shortcut.

(I have mine sitting in my "Quick Launch" toolbar. That way, I only have to click it once!)
    Last edited by littlepd; March 12, 2008, 01:48 PM.
    "Time passes, but sometimes it beats the <crap> out of you as it goes."

Re: Run SQL Scripts Without Starting iSeries Navigator

One thing I forgot to mention:

When you start Run SQL Scripts from iSeries Navigator, it automatically connects to the database on the server. This is not the case if you start it from your new shortcut. You must manually connect using the Connection menu at the top.
    "Time passes, but sometimes it beats the <crap> out of you as it goes."

Comment

Thanks for the tip. I've been wondering if there was a way access this from a shortcut. On my machine, SQL Scripts runs in a different susbsystem than STRSQL, and performs much better. It often gives better error messages, too.

Comment

I'm not offended at all! If there's a specific change in FROG that would make it easier to run SQL scripts (which it already does) then let me know. I'm getting ready to release V1.8.0 and now would be a good time for ease-of-use enhancements.
        Jonas Temple
        Got FROG?
        Got Tadpole? No, because it's not done yet! Stay tuned....

01010111 01100001 01110011 01110011 01110101 01110000 00100000 01100100 01101111 01100111 00111111

Comment

Do you know if cwbundbs.exe accepts a parameter to start connected to a specific system or DB. I have two As/400, one for testing and one for production. Also my Run Sql scripts does not work from Windows Navigator. I clicked on it and nothing happens but it works great with the shortcut.
          Thanks

Comment

Working...
          X