Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Free IDE for rpgle?

Hi everyone,

I just started a training course in RPG/iSeries with the company I work for. We're using WDSC and SDA but I have no way to access the software or the iSeries outside of work. It would really help if I had some way to practice or just mess around with code at home. Are there any free programs I can use? Also, is there any place I would be able to get an account on an iSeries?

Re: Free IDE for rpgle?

Using the iSeries Projects perspective in WDSC, you can download the source code from your System i to your PC and take it home with you. You won't be able to compile and test, but you'll be able to "verify" the source (which is one step short of compiling).

If you absolutely need access to a System i, there are a few different sites that offer this. That question has been asked and answered many times on many different sites. So I recommend a Google search.
    "Time passes, but sometimes it beats the <crap> out of you as it goes."

Comment

We have a VPN at our place that let's me dial in from home. Is it worth asking if they have this where you are? It's essential for us for our out of hours support work.
      Ben

Comment

plus on the index page to the site are 3 listing for free iseries access. The first being
        offered by Jonas of the F.R.O.G.

jamie
        All my answers were extracted from the "Big Dummy's Guide to the As400"
        and I take no responsibility for any of them.

www.code400.com

Comment

Thanks for the responses. I am still looking for an editor as I am unable to download the source through wdsc. One of my instructors mentioned the eclipse editor, but failed to elaborate on it. Are there many choices as far as IDEs go?

Comment

Are you definitely programming RPG? "WebSphere Development Studio Client" is an extension of the free eclipse IDE that lets you access an iSeries and write RPG programs and more. The freely available eclipse IDE is usually shipped as a Java IDE and there are extensions to make it a C++ or PHP IDE.
            Ben

Comment

Originally posted by cringer View Post
              I am unable to download the source through wdsc.
              Why? What's the problem?

Comment

@littlepd
                I think I misunderstood your first comment. I thought you were saying I could download the actual source code to wdsc and somehow install it on my pc at home.

@BenThurley
                I'm definitely programming in RPG. I'm not sure why he mentioned the eclipse IDE, unless he just assumed you could use it for RPG. He's one of those die hard green screeners. I don't think he even uses wdsc.

I did find a program called rpg-alive, but I haven't had a chance to try it out yet. Have any of you tried it or know of a better one you could recommend?

Comment

Through the iSeries Perspective in WDSC, you can download the code to your PC. However, I'm not sure what you mean by "somehow install it on my pc at home". WDSC makes it possible to "check out" the source code from your System i, and edit it on your PC while offline. But you cannot compile or run your code until you reconnect to the System i.

Does that help?

Comment

I think M$oft has and IDE, but just like WDSC you can't compile anything....I think they call it....NOTEPAD! J/K

I've heard of rpg-alive before
                    Your future President
                    Bryce

---------------------------------------------
                    http://www.bravobryce.com

Comment

I use RPGAlive. It helps a lot to make the code readable. Also act as intellisense for commands/op codes.

Greg

Comment

Rpgalive is not an editor, but an overlay utility for the 5250 emulation screens. I love it and have had it purchased at all three of my jobs.

You can "save as" from with in WDSC and save the source to your PC.
                        Hunting down the future ms. Ex DeadManWalks. *certain restrictions apply

Comment

Working...
                        X