Eval tamnt = 0
    eval tpamt = %subst(SRCDTA:11:15)
    eval tamnt = tamnt+%DEC(tpamt:15:2)
    dsply tamnt

but the tamnt come with value 15005000 rather than wut i wanted 1500.50

what should i do?

Re: Decimal point

something like this

eval tamnt = %editc(tamnt+%DEC(tpamt:15:2):'J')
    All my answers were extracted from the "Big Dummy's Guide to the As400"
    and I take no responsibility for any of them.

www.code400.com

Comment

Hi,

try the following:
      PHP Code:
      /Free
         Dsply 
      (%Char(tamnt));
      /
      End-Free 
      Birgitta

Comment

i didn't work jamief

when i write this :

C eval tpamt = %subst(SRCDTA:AMNT_ST:AMNT_LEN)
        C eval tamnt = tamnt+%DEC(tpamt:15:2)

it means when i use 5DEC it put two digits after the decimal point or not?
        what is the 2 for?

coz the tpamt is a character field

Comment

Hi

LP Zdenko

Comment

Hello

I had this problem a while ago with fields imported from XML (or SOAP from the web-service), that had the wrong number of decimal places. In our system we store many numeric values as character, so that we can keep them all in the same place, and I don't need to write a new XML parser every time.

Anyway this is my little program I wrote. I thought it was quite cute:
            Code:
            DZeros            s            100A   Inz(*Zeros)                           
            DNumberC          s             20A                                         
            DDecimals         s              3  0                                       
            DPoint            s              3  0                                       
            DTempC            s             20A                                         
             *                                                                          
            D DecLen          PR            40A                                         
            D   NumberTemp                  40A   Value                                 
            D   Decs                         3  0 Value                                 
             *                                                                          
            C     *Entry        Plist                                                   
            C                   Parm                    NumberC                         
            C                   Parm                    Decimals                        
             *                                                                          
            C                   Eval      NumberC = %Trim(DecLen(NumberC:Decimals))     
             *                                                                          
            C                   Seton                                        LR         
             *                                                                          
            PDecLen           B                                                         
             *                                                                           
            DDecLen           PI            40A                                          
            D  NumberTemp                   40A   Value                                  
            D  Decs                          3  0 Value                                  
             *                                                                           
            C                   If        Decs > 0                                       
            C                   Eval      NumberC = %Trim(NumberC)                       
            C                   Eval      Point = %Scan('.':NumberC)                     
            C                   If        Point > 0                                      
            C                   Eval      TempC = %SubSt(NumberC : Point : Decs+1)       
            C                   Eval      TempC = %Trim(TempC) + %SubSt(Zeros:1:         
            C                                     (1 + Decimals - %Len(%Trim(TempC))))   
            C                   Eval      NumberC = %SubSt(NumberC:1:Point-1)            
            C                   Else                                                     
            C                   Eval      TempC = '.' + %SubSt(Zeros : 1 : Decs)         
            C                   Endif                                                    
            C                   Eval      NumberC = %Trim(NumberC) + %Trim(TempC)        
            C                   Endif                                                    
            C                   Return    NumberC                                        
             *                                                                           
            P                 E

Comment

i saw this example but still didn't get the point what type include the decimal point to the field?

Comment

what abt the EDTCDE it is used for what and how?

Comment

If you have a char field with a deciaml numeric in it, you need only code one line

Number = %dec(Alphafield:15:2)
                  It will automatically align the decimal and ignore any blanks (before, after, embedded). Change the 15:2 as needed. To change it back to an alpha field and keep the decimal point, use the EDTCDE

AlphaField = %edtcde(Number:'J') Change the "J" as needed to get the desired look in the alpha field.

Comment

hi
                    when i try to put the second syntax without the %
                    it gives me
                    Expression contains an operand that is not defined.

and when i use as u said the % ican't compilet it it gives error

Comment

Hi,

the compiler is right. the BIF %EdtCde does not exist. You have to specify %EditC instead.

Birgitta

Comment

Working...
                      X