• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Pointer not set for location referenced

Hi

What about different versions of the program in different libraries,
    which are included in Yours *LIBL.
    Mybe not the same program, but the same name ?

Try WRKOBJ OBJ(*ALL/PGMNAME) OBJTYPE(*PGM).
    Last edited by Zdenko; April 5, 2007, 05:37 AM.
    LP Zdenko

Comment

Thank for reply.
      1) Checked the program and *libl, all in good.
      2) I have debug the RPGLE program line by line and explain in my previous mail, please refer to #5.
      3) The program run in RPG mode Ok but convert to RPGLE (CVTRPGSRC) then the error message appear. Why? is the limitation convert from RPG and RPGLE?
      4) Maybe the RPG itself not using correct/proper programming (old program, previous programmer done it).

Comment

we still didnt see your plist in rpg.

thanks
        jamie
        All my answers were extracted from the "Big Dummy's Guide to the As400"
        and I take no responsibility for any of them.

www.code400.com

Comment

Sorry to miss out the plist

Code:
          RPGLE PLIST
          0098.00      C     *ENTRY        PLIST                                                       
          0099.00      C                   PARM                    $RPTCD            8                 
          0100.00      C                   PARM                    $TITL1           30                 
          0101.00      C                   PARM                    $TITL2           30                 
          0102.00      C                   PARM                    BRID              3                 
          0103.00      C                   PARM                    RPTDTE            6
          Code:
          RPG PLIST
          0115.00      C           *ENTRY    PLIST                                        
          0116.00      C                     PARM           $RPTCD  8                     
          0117.00      C                     PARM           $TITL1 30                     
          0118.00      C                     PARM           $TITL2 30                     
          0119.00      C                     PARM           BRID    3                     
          0120.00      C                     PARM           RPTDTE  6

Comment

Im going to say its not the plist.....
            Im totally lost!

jamie
            All my answers were extracted from the "Big Dummy's Guide to the As400"
            and I take no responsibility for any of them.

www.code400.com

Comment

Ok, look at your rpgle code for fields that have the "LIKE DEFINE". See if you have any that are defined as character but should be boolean. This is the only problem that i have had when i have converted rpg to rpgle.
              Hunting down the future ms. Ex DeadManWalks. *certain restrictions apply

Comment

Phuatest,
                I have did the debug found after perform Indicator "01" for 1st record the step will goto end of source and give the above msg.
                What are you trying to say ? Pls clarify.
                Philippe

Comment

Thank you for reply.
                  The error message may due to original RPG before convert to RPGLE.
                  I have decide to re-do the entire program in RPGLE and solve the error message.

Comment

Hi, When you are done with the program please let us know what was the issue. Thanks DM
                    Hunting down the future ms. Ex DeadManWalks. *certain restrictions apply

Comment

I haven't read all the messages in detail but ...

The entry parms are nearly always the cause of these problems - if anyone cares, the reason is that the internal memory layout of an RPG IV program is significantly different from an RPG/400 program. Your RPG/400 program may have been corrupting memory for years (7 is the record for those I've seen) and got away with it. Convert it to RPG IV and BOOM! Jim Sloan had a lot of these problems with the TAA TOOLS.

Couple of things to check.

You've shown us the CL definition/call etc. and the Entry PLIST - but do you call any other routines from the RPG program - it is quite possible that a called routine is screwing up the parm before your code references it. Look at the parm opn entry ion debug and see if it is OK.

Comment

Dear JonBoy,
                        Thank for reply.

I just try to understand and find out why some time cause the error appear on:
                        i) Convert RPG to RPGLE and ii) Convert CLP to CLLE.

My development team will re-write/re-vamp CLP to CLLE or RPG to RPGLE program and OK. This is not first time to rewrite/revamp the program and working fine but waste time to rewrite/revamp.

1. You are collect that may due to too many parm cause the problem and new program just pass-in one parm (consolidated).
                        2. Yes. it may due to others routines from the program and new once just to ingore/delete/rewrite the routines due to this.
                        3. New program just apply/copy the logic/layout from old program and rewrite/revamp into new program with new feature.

Comment

Originally posted by PHUATEST View Post
                          Dear JonBoy,
                          Thank for reply.

I just try to understand and find out why some time cause the error appear on:
                          i) Convert RPG to RPGLE and ii) Convert CLP to CLLE.
                          I'm not sure if this is a question but ...

Given that you are seeing problems in converted programs, your biggest issue is finding out _which_ programs will cause problems. You _cannot_ rely of the "Pointer not set ..." message to identify the programs with problems. Many other programs may be having corruption issues but are not corrupting pointers!

Customers who have this problem usually find that one single technique - or even one single parameter used throughout the system - is causing the problem.

You _must_ take the time to find out the cause - not simply rewrite the ones that exhibit problems. The programs that seem to be OK are the ones that you should be worrying about.

Jon P.

Comment

Working...
                          X