Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bound Modules Question

I have a quick question for you.

I have a module called TOOLS which is just a RPGLE containing a bunch of subprocedures that do some common functions. (All defined with prototypes and procedure interfaces.)

I do not create a service program with these modules. I just compile the module using option 15.

Now then, I have a bunch of programs that use these procedures throughout the system. They are bound to the module using a binding directory in the program header and compiled with option 14.

Now my question is, if I add a new procedure to the TOOLS module, do I need to go back and recompile all of the old programs? Will they error out with some kind of level check if I don't?

What if I changed the code in one of the procedures that is currently being used? (I assume I would need to.)

I guess I am asking if the modules that are used are built into the final program or do they call the external subprocedure each time?

Does that make sense?

Re: Bound Modules Question

Now my question is, if I add a new procedure to the TOOLS module, do I need to go back and recompile all of the old programs? Will they error out with some kind of level check if I don't?
    They will not error out because they dont care about the TOOLS module after the bound program has been created. In fact you dont even need the modules on the system after you create the bound program.

What if I changed the code in one of the procedures that is currently being used? (I assume I would need to.)
    Once again changing a procedure in the TOOLS module has no effect on the bound programs that use it.

I guess I am asking if the modules that are used are built into the final program or do they call the external subprocedure each time?
    The modules are bound into the final program.

DMW
    Hunting down the future ms. Ex DeadManWalks. *certain restrictions apply

Comment

Re: Bound Modules Question

Cool beans! Thanks a bunch for the info.

Comment

Working...
      X