Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DASD Info

Hey,
    I am looking to add a couple of DASD units to my machine and have received quotes that are all over the place. Once company is offering the units at 50% less than the others. This price includes a 30 day warranty and the drives will be covered under Hardware maintenance.

Does anyone have a good source for System I hardware?

How can 1 vendor offer such a reduced price? It makes me wary.
    Predictions are usually difficult, especially about the future. ~Yogi Berra

Vertical Software Systems
    VSS.biz

Re: DASD Info

Originally posted by kpmac View Post
    Once company is offering the units at 50% less than the others. This price includes a 30 day warranty and the drives will be covered under Hardware maintenance.

Does anyone have a good source for System I hardware?

How can 1 vendor offer such a reduced price? It makes me wary.
    Just a shot in the dark, but if it is the same hardware I'm guessing they're selling used vs new.
    The other possibility I've seen is they install the disk and over charge the labour to make up the difference.

Be sure to check that you are comparing apples to apples.

There is always the possibility that it's just a good deal because they want your business

Comment

Well giving the age of our machine all of the disk units are used. I am definitely comparing the same parts. The people who want the most money are one of the largest suplliers in the US. You can probabley figure out who without me giving away names.

We are not looking to have a single one of these companies install the drives for us. Can it simply be a matter of greed.

Maybe I need to stop being so cynical.
      Predictions are usually difficult, especially about the future. ~Yogi Berra

Vertical Software Systems
      VSS.biz

Comment

Well if the "large supplier" is who I think it is I'm not suprised at the fact they are not the lowest price. I've certainly experienced that before.

If you are sure everything else is the same go for the low price. After all it is covered under maintenance if something goes wrong.

Of course that's just my opinion,

Comment

Hey KP...

I've got a hardware guy I've dealt with for years... send me a list of what you're looking for (feature numbers) and I'll see what I can do.

-Rick

Comment

It's been known as a fact that the SAME disks that roll off the IBM production line badged as IBM disks retail for a lot more than the SAME disks from the same factory badged as another company

I will try to find details ...
            Greg Craill: "Life's hard - Get a helmet !!"

Comment

Working...
            X