Change console type

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Change console type

After having our new machine put in I have been left our old one to basically do what I want with. However, the machine console was twinax dumb terminal and now I am trying to use a pc as I dont have a spare, the pc is corectly set up as it was used to test the new machine. The problem is the old box wont see it.

Will I be able to start a remote session and change the IPL system value to, is it qconsole? So the pc terminal will see a signon? Do I also need to change the front panel for manual debug ipl (what option)l so I can access dst and change the settings in there (which ones) so it will see the pc console IPL normally?

Ahh.

Re: Change console type

I found this IBM .pdf
    it may help

pManaging the Hardware Management Console (HMC)

jamie
    All my answers were extracted from the "Big Dummy's Guide to the As400"
    and I take no responsibility for any of them.

www.code400.com

Comment

Okay I borrowed a twinax console from our live box and got a console session. Changed IPL sysval back to 0.

I followed these instructions: http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infoce...tingtwinax.htm

Upgrading from twinax to operations console. I powered down disconnected the twinax. I have now powered back on and the machine has come up with no errors and the OPS console connects but I just get a black screen. When I start a remote session I cant see any dsplays under QCTL. What else can I do to get a console session with ops console?
      Edit/Delete Message

Comment

Wooooops

I set the AS400 (170) up for OPs console which wont work, and the QIPLTYPE was 2 manual, console debug mode and I am now stuck in the middle of a IPL with no console.

Does anyone know of a way I can recover from this? Is it possible to change the system value QIPLTYPE using the front panel?

Also is it possible that adapter 2720 is incompatible with Ops console?

Thank you for any replies.

Comment

Sorry - Im no help - anyone else?

jamie

www.code400.com

Comment

Thanks Jamief

I have managed to get the machine back up and have a connected via a remote session and changed the QIPLTYPE value. back to 0 again.

However I still have no console. Given that I can't get a console with Ops console, how do I change the settings so I can use a twinax console again? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Comment

OMG. Its okay, I have sorted it, I feel like a numpty.

Setting to manual on the front panel brings enables you to access DST with twinax attached regardless of what the console is set to. And now I have changed the console back to twinax. Jeez I am new to this. Knowledge gained.

Comment

Im glad you got it back......I was actually thinking about you, wondering what had happened, but as always I saw something shiny and got distracted...@#%@#%@#%@#% Im old...

www.code400.com

Comment

Working...
                X