Error with String Concatenation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Error with String Concatenation

Hello all. I'm having a problem concatenating a string and I have no idea why. Everything looks fine to me. I have a procedure that is creating a few strings for use in some CL commands. Here is the code:

Code:
    P SetCmdStrings   B
         D SetCmdStrings   PI
         D  File                         10A

/free

CpyFCmdString = 'CPYF FROMFILE(' + %trim(LIBNAME) + '/' + %trim(File) + ') ' +
                           'TOFILE(' + %trim(LIBNAME) + '/' + %trim(File) + 'B)';

DltFCmdString = 'DLTF FILE(' + %trim(LIBNAME) + '/' + %trim(File) + 'B)';

/end-free

P                 E
    For some reason I am getting the following errors:

024300 CpyFCmdString = 'CPYF FROMFILE(' + %trim(LIBNAME) + '/' + %trim(File) + ') ' +
    ======> a
    *RNF0267 20 a 024300 Character literal has missing trailing apostrophe; trailing
    apostrophe assumed.
    *RNF5501 20 024300 The comment entry on a free-form calculation is not valid.
    024400 'TOFILE(' + %trim(LIBNAME) + '/' + %trim(File) + 'B)';
    ======> aaaaaaaaa
    *RNF5377 20 a 024400 The end of the expression is expected.

As far as I can tell, everything looks ok. I can't think of what else to add to these lines to get it to compile. Can anyone help?

Re: Error with String Concatenation

Well I just answered my own question. I didn't know that you can't have code past column 80 in free format. I fixed the code so that it doesn't go past column 80 and it compiled without a problem. I was using CODE/400 to write this program and noticed that the column numbering only goes up to column 80, and the code was extended beyond that. Is there a way to make the compiler recognize code past column 80, or is this a limitation we have to live with?

Comment

Re: Error with String Concatenation

I think you have to live with it. Cols 81+ are comments. If using lpex editor, you would have got an error right away, while entering the text. I thought CODE did that too, but I haven't used it for over 3 years.

Comment

Working...
      X