Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unused module and service programs

Hi All,

We have a requirement to retire all the unused objects from our iseries server. We have several modules and service programs with used count less than 10. I wrote a sample program attaching 1 binding directory to it. This binding directory had some modules and srvpgms. When I called my sample program, I found that the used days count doesnt get changed even though the procedure inside the service program is called.

I also went through this link and found that,

The days used count for a module is updated when bound with another module or binding directory to create a bound program (CRTPGM command) or bound service program (CRTSRVPGM command). When updated on the Update Program (UPDPGM) command or Update Service Program (UPDSRVPGM) command.

The days used count for a service program is updated only when a bound service program is activated and for a program it is updated when it is run.

My questions are :
    Can I conclude that if the service program used count is very less, does it mean that the procedures inside it are not being used by anyother programs?
    If no, then how can I identify the service programs that are not at all used by the system anymore?

Thanks and Regards
    Regu

Re: Unused module and service programs

modules are compile only objects and can be deleted after binding. as far as service programs i would not delete then if they are been used/modified within a 1 year period since some may only be used during year-end processing.
    I'm not anti-social, I just don't like people -Tommy Holden

Comment

Make sure you have the (correct) source before you delete anything... and at least 2 backups preferably on different mediums.
      Regards

Kit
      http://www.ecofitonline.com
      DeskfIT - ChangefIT - XrefIT

Comment

If you have all source, you could write a program to find all uses of the procedures of service programs used in your programs. Then get the program last used date. I would then just assume that if service program MyService had 3 procedures and one was found in the source of MyProgram and MyProgram has been used recently, I would not get rid of MyService. I would only get rid of MyService if there were no MyPrograms that were recently used that had a MyService.MyProcedure used.
        Hunting down the future ms. Ex DeadManWalks. *certain restrictions apply

Comment

Working...
        X