Printing to variable file names

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Printing to variable file names

I am trying to call an RPGLE program from a CL four times. The RPG program has one output file defined and, based on the parameters passed, determines from the input file which records to write. It works fine, but I need it to write to four different spool file names (OTHPRT, OTHKSPRT, FMFMPRT, and FMFMKSPRT), and it's just creating four spool files with the same name (INVPRT). Can someone please tell me what I'm doing wrong? Here's the CL code:

Code:
    CHGVAR VAR(&FMFM) VALUE(0) 
    CHGVAR VAR(&KS) VALUE(0) 
    CHGVAR VAR(&DVDTO) VALUE('OTHPRT') 
    CALLSUBR SUBR(DVDSUB) 

CHGVAR VAR(&FMFM) VALUE(0) 
    CHGVAR VAR(&KS) VALUE(1) 
    CHGVAR VAR(&DVDTO) VALUE('OTHKSPRT')
     CALLSUBR SUBR(DVDSUB) 

CHGVAR VAR(&FMFM) VALUE(1) 
    CHGVAR VAR(&KS) VALUE(0) 
    CHGVAR VAR(&DVDTO) VALUE('FMFMPRT') 
    CALLSUBR SUBR(DVDSUB) 

CHGVAR VAR(&FMFM) VALUE(1) 
    CHGVAR VAR(&KS) VALUE(1) 
    CHGVAR VAR(&DVDTO) VALUE('FMFMKSPRT')
     CALLSUBR SUBR(DVDSUB) 

SUBR SUBR(DVDSUB) 
    OVRPRTF FILE(INVPRT) TOFILE(&DVDTO) + 
    PAGESIZE(66 85) OVRFLW(65) PAGRTT(0) +
     OUTQ(&OUTQ) FORMTYPE(&FORMTYPE) + 
    HOLD(*YES) USRDTA(&USRDTA) 

CALL PGM(*LIBL/DVDINVSPLR) PARM(&FMFM &KS) 
    ENDSUBR
    And here's the RPG file spec:

Code:
    Finvprt o f 132 printer oflind(*inog)
    I'm sure it's simple, but I'm rather limited on my CL/RPG skills. Also my first post to this forum.
    Thanks much for any help.

Re: Printing to variable file names

It's Friday and that is way too much for me to read...
    but could you try an USROPN on the print file and do a manual open and close on it?

Jamie
    All my answers were extracted from the "Big Dummy's Guide to the As400"
    and I take no responsibility for any of them.

www.code400.com

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion Jamie. Not that much code, really. Just calling a subroutine 4 times, passing a couple of parameters and changing the filename.

If I use USROPN, would I pass the filename as a third parameter then, instead of using OVRPRTF to change it? Why doesn't OVERPRTF change it as it's coded now?

Comment

Hi NateFarm:

I'm missing the point of your exercise....
        Who cares what the print file is called.....
        weather it's 'OTHPRT'...'OTHKSPRT'...'FMFMPRT'...or 'FMFMKSPRT'
        It's going to print on the selected printer....Users shouldn't even see that detail
        And it's all the same detail or am I missing something with the parms being passed to the rpg?

Just curious

GLS
        The problem with quotes on the internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity.....Abraham Lincoln

Comment

The spool files are processed by subsequent programs based on their name.

Comment

Hi NateFarm:

Please tell me you are not copying the spool file (cpysplf) to extract data....
            If that is the case you really really really REALLY need to output that detail in file format and process the subsequent programs using FILES....NOT spool files.

GLS
            The problem with quotes on the internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity.....Abraham Lincoln

Comment

You are specifying the file name, doing an OVERRIDE to the printer file of the new file name, then calling your RPG, which generates the report.

4 overrides - 4 calls - 4 reports

Comment

No. The input file contains customer letters. It's split by the dvdinvsplr program into two different customer types (FMFM and OTH), and also by in-state, out-of-state (KS and not KS). Of the four resulting reports, two go by certified mail, and a program reads them (identified by name) to create the cert file that goes to a vendor.

Since no one is answering my question, I'm getting the feeling that there's not an easy answer after all. Anyone?

Comment

The above response was to GLS400. Yes dandevoe, you summarized what I'm trying to do. Do you have a solution?

Comment

wait for it....... OVRPRTF FILE(THISFILE) SPLFNAME(NEWFILENM)
                    done.
                    Hunting down the future ms. Ex DeadManWalks. *certain restrictions apply

Comment

Please read my first post code. That's what I am doing ......... It doesn't work.
                      Not done.

Comment

Oooo, my bad. I was using TOFILE, not SPLFNAME. My apologies for the misplaced sarcasm I'll give that a try. Thanks!

Comment

Worked perfectly, deadmanwalks. I THOUGHT it had to be simple. Thanks!

Comment

You don't ever delete the override (that I can see). Also, make sure the RPG program is closing the printer file and re-opening. Remember, an override only goes into effect when the RPG program does an OPEN. Except at open-time, the override is ignored.

Comment

I only showed a small segment of the CL. The override is deleted later. And the RPG just spins through the file -- no intrinsic open or close.

Comment

Working...
                              X