Create fancy reports & email them

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Create fancy reports & email them

From an RPG ILE program I need to be able to extract data from an iseries database file (I know how to do that) and produce a fancy report with boxes, lines, multiple fonts, etc. and email that report to multiple pre-defined addresses.

Re: Create fancy reports & email them

Here is an example of using boxes lines both vertical and horizontal.

please download this example.

printer must be defined as *AFPDS which most laser printers are.

we will need to look at this program which converts as400 documents to .pdf

look for link to download scspdf.zip this tool will convert to pdf doc

then look at free ibm tool MMAIL to main or snddst command which is on your system now. the snddst command limitation is the doc being sent must be in QDLS.......

let me know how to help further.

Jamie
    All my answers were extracted from the "Big Dummy's Guide to the As400"
    and I take no responsibility for any of them.

www.code400.com

Comment

IBM also sells the Infoprint Server and Designer that will allow you to do this. It wil require some exit programming.

Just another option.
      Never trust a dog to watch your food.

Comment

Jamie,

Thank you. I had already seen the afpproject - we don't have any printers defined as *AFPDS. I will get with the systems admin.

Take Care!

Comment

Okay! well do me one favor before you do that......
          try converting one of your standard spooled files to pdf using the tool
          (scspdf) and then place on QDLS and email to yourself using the SNDDST command.

I think this may suffice for now.

let me know how it goes.

Jamie

www.code400.com

Comment

If you have java programming experience you could use IText from lowagie.com to create some fancy smancy PDF reports. Once you have the report created you could also use the javaMail Api to email them directly from the IFS.
            Last edited by kpmac; January 31, 2006, 09:37 AM.
            Predictions are usually difficult, especially about the future. ~Yogi Berra

Vertical Software Systems
            VSS.biz

Comment

Jamie,

We use Broderick SpoolFile Utility to convert standard reports to PDF and email. I figured it wouldn't convert a fancy report. Also, I want the user to be able to maintain the email addresses and we don't allow users any access to the Broderick Utility.

I have used the SNDDST to send messages, never a report - knowing it has to be in QDLS will save me some time.

It may be some time before I get a chance to try all this - I really want to convince 'those in charge' to setup a *AFPDS printer

Take Care and Thanks for you Help!

Comment

I'm beginning to wonder about "those in charge" ... there must be THOUSANDS of them .. they work here too!!

I say we just shoot them! We developers know what's best anyway!

Comment

If your looking at tools to purchase this is a package I would recommend.
                  Easy t o use (i figured it out)
                  RJS Software was acquired by Fortra in 2014 and is now represented by the Webdocs suite of solutions.

if you do have a laser printer on site you can just change it to an ipds type printer (data streams supported) and this wont effect current printing but would let you play around with printer files and the font keywords......
                  Attached Files

www.code400.com

Comment

I do this by creating a template in MS Word, then I use ActiveX Data Objects in a VBA macro to retrieve the data from the iSeries and fill in the template. Then you could just use your normal PC email client to send it.

Michael
                    "Time passes, but sometimes it beats the <crap> out of you as it goes."

Comment

If you are fairly current with your OS, you probably got iSeries Client Access for Web on your system discs for free. If you install it and configure it on the base Apache server (about a 15 minute jog) it puts iText ( mentioned by kpmac) on your 400 and will convert your spool to .pdf from a browser screen. I see an option there to email converted files, but I don't have my 400 set up to send email.

Pete

Comment

You can do more with IText than just copying spooled files to pdf. The package has a whole bunch of API's that allow you to do anything from assigning password authentication to embedding images directly into the document.

Basically, any report that can be created in HTML can be replicated in IText.

VSS.biz

Comment

OK, I'm going to want more info about this IText thingy. We're on V5R3 here (Just got 2 new systems 520 and 570) and I'd be VERY interested in this. Have several situations where this would be a God send...

OK KP ... what's the scoop?

Comment

FastOne,
                            To start using IText you need to:
                            1. Download the IText.jar file from http://www.lowagie.com/iText
                            2. Add the Itext.jar file to your classpath.
                              Its easier to develope on your pc first and move onto the I-Series later.
                            3. Get yourself a good text editor like TextPad http://www.textpad.com/
                              Its easier and quicker to make a quick fix here than it is in WDSC. You can also open and compile java files in the ifs with this simple editor. Its great for editing SQL too.

Let me know when you have your environment setup and I will post some code samples in the Java forum.

VSS.biz

Comment

We don't have the Licensed Program 5722AF1 IBM Advanced Function Printing Utilities for iSeries. We only have 5722S1 AFP Compatibility Fonts.

I thought I could create a PRTF using DDS with DEVTYPE(*AFPDS) and not print it - just convert it to PDF and email it. The PRTF compiles but it ignores the AFP commands (like BOX) when the spool file is created.

Before I start advocating for the purchase of the AFP licensed program I need to know it will work. Has anyone used the convert program (SCSSPDF) to convert a ipds? I got it work for a SCS, but can't try it on a ipds.

Without the AFP licensed program, will the IBM Infoprint Server and Designer work?

Will IText - I have no Java programming experience - sounds like the ITEXT converts spool files to .pdf - again this won't work because I can't create the ipds spool file?????

Will the rjssoftware create the fancy report or does it just convert a spool file to pdf?

We have a software package (FormsExpress Optio) that we use to create printer overlays to print fancy reports - but it just sends the commands to the printer - I can't convert it to pdf with the overlay in order to email it.

So many questions!!!!

I really appreciate all the help and advice.

Take Care!

Comment

Working...
                              X