Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Substring in RPG

Experienced Forum Member

Smile Substring in RPG

I need to ask an IF statement about the first byte of a three byte chararcter field in RPG III. Can I accomplish this in one step or do I have to substring the field in the first spec and in the next statement ask the "IF".
    Examples would help . Field name is GRPID. In cobol I could use reference modification and say:
    If GRPID (1:1) = "M"
    then do this
    else take the day off

Thanks,
    John
    John M. Mauro
    Software Engineer
    MedAssets

2. # 666
    Circuit advertisement

Driver of cars, eater of food jamief's Avatar

Re: Substring in RPG

in RPGIII you will need to just create a data structure with 3 subfields all 1 *char long.
    then reference that field....

if you get on a system with code that isnt over 17 years old then just do:

if %subst(myfield:1:1) = 'A';
    endif;
    All my answers were extracted from the "Big Dummy's Guide to the As400"
    and I take no responsibility for any of them.

www.code400.com

Lord of the Dance

I just want to point out that you dont have to be stuck in RPGIII. You can take this program forward into RPGIV by using the CvtRpgSrc command and use the new stuff in RPG. (Or, at least the stuff thats new since 1995.) You will save enormous amounts of coding time if you do.
    Michael Catalani
    Manager of eCommerce Development
    Acceptance Insurance Corporation
    www.AcceptanceInsurance.com
    www.ProvatoSys.com

Experienced Forum Member

Thanks for the replies. With regards to the versions. We have the PGM in RPGILE too, but need to support the older versions for clients who never upgraded.
    Again Thanks !!!!
    John
    John M. Mauro
    Software Engineer
    MedAssets

Lord of the Dance

Hi John,

If you use the CvtRpgSrc command and do nothing else to the program, it is as OPM as the RPGIII program. ( In other words, its non-ile, and runs in the DAG just like RPGIII programs do). But it does allow you to use the new RPG opcodes back to the release the customer is on.

I used to own a software company that had multiple application packages to support. ( We even had to support across the Cisc / Risc barrier ) So I know what a giant pain to support back-release levels. (It was such torture to see the new opcodes for RPG come out, and know that we couldnt use them because they would keep a program from being compiled to a previous version.)

But you should be able to convert the RPGIII to non-ile RPGIV wih no issues, and it will save you a ton of coding and support headaches. You wouldnt be able to use subprocedures, activation groups, and other ILE concepts, but you can take advantage of the new RPG opcodes that make life so much easier. (Especially date and string manipulations.)

You may know all of this, but I keep bringing it up because there's still a lot of people who dont, and they are missing out on a ton of productivity. They hang back on the RPGIII compiler because they believe the CvtRpgSrc command will make their program ILE. It doesnt. It simply brings the code forward to the RPGIV compiler, which is the compiler thats been updated for the past 17 years. In order to make the program ILE, you have to specify DftActGrp(*NO) on either the control spec or at compile time. As long as that statement doesnt exist, the program is as OPM as an RPGIII program, it was simply run through the newer compiler.
    Last edited by MichaelCatalani; June 15th, 2011 at 10:59 AM.
    Michael Catalani
    Manager of eCommerce Development
    Acceptance Insurance Corporation
    www.AcceptanceInsurance.com
    www.ProvatoSys.com

create a DS with a subfield containing only that 1st character and compare that in your condition seems the easiest approach in RPG III
    I'm not anti-social, I just don't like people -Tommy Holden

Hi John:
    PHP Code:
       c           movel my3char my1char

c   my1char ifeq 
    'M'

c           endif 
    at least that's the way I used to do it

Best of Luck
    gls
    The problem with quotes on the internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity.....Abraham Lincoln

Code400 Newbie

thank you!!!

Nobody thought of creating a 1 character field and doing a MOVEL...

I wasn't aware you had to source upgrade RPGIII to RPGIV though, but it's worth moving programs to RPGLE if you are going to be doing any major updates to them.

Having said that, we have 3 programmers here who work in RPGIV. They can't comprehend RPGLE.

I must admit that for the most part I write my RPGH still in Upper Case, because my brain has been programmed for 31 years to see RPG code in Upper Case. I don't use procedures, Binding etc. Have a couple of times but it's just another way of doing the same thing I always have, and seems more complicated.

What I love about RPGLE is the use of the EVAL statement, %functions, nested IF's etc. They not only make coding simpler to do, they make it simpler to read as well.

I still use the RPG cycle too. It saves a lot of hard work, especially if processing a whole file and doing level breaks. That was what RPG was designed around, until a bunch of folks from the next generation said that it wasn't correct to write RPG that way. What do they know anyhow...

Not sure if I'm missing something.
    Does this

if %subst(GRPID:1:1) = 'M';
    require a DS? It's just one field, isn't it?
    ‘No bird soars too high if he soars with his own wings’ – William Blake

Hi Kausix777:
    No ds required. You are comparing the first position of a field to a constant.

Best of Luck
    GLS
    The problem with quotes on the internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity.....Abraham Lincoln

Experienced Forum Member Chipper's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GLS400 View Post
    Hi John:
    PHP Code:
       c           movel my3char my1char

c   my1char ifeq 
    'M'

c           endif 
    at least that's the way I used to do it

Best of Luck
    gls
    Another approach is this:
    Code:
          *          FACT1     OP   FACT2     RESULT         
         C           1         SUBSTCHAR3:1   CHAR1   1
    but I think the MOVEL is easier to read/understand.

Experienced Forum Member Chipper's Avatar

Thumbs up Re: Substring in RPG

Quote Originally Posted by Poddys View Post
    I still use the RPG cycle too. It saves a lot of hard work, especially if processing a whole file and doing level breaks. That was what RPG was designed around, until a bunch of folks from the next generation said that it wasn't correct to write RPG that way. What do they know anyhow...
    Yes -- the cycle makes it easy to crank out code with level breaks. Have never understood why people would want to have a bunch of fields to track when a level break occurs and all the extra code to handle level breaks without the cycle.

Rather than confess they don't understand the cycle gist some people prefer to broadcast that it's old school
    Philippe

Quote Originally Posted by Chipper View Post
    Yes -- the cycle makes it easy to crank out code with level breaks. Have never understood why people would want to have a bunch of fields to track when a level break occurs and all the extra code to handle level breaks without the cycle.
    It's nice to know that a few years down the road people are brave enough to stand up for the RPG cycle.

The amount of code required to manually check for detail time and total time level breaks, not to mention making sure you got the code right... when the RPG cycle does it all for you.

As with everything else, take the best of the new and the best of the old and use what works best.

I think I should look into the RPG cycle one more time and try to understand it. This is because when I started working on the AS400 people (who I worked with) did not encourage the use NOR did I find any existing programs which had them. Seems like I'm missing out on something here.

Just because something's old doesnt meant its not good.

The main thing that I like about RPG/LE and the general AS400 stuff is the ease with which the programs interact with the database tables. I have worked with multiple languages and apart from PL/SQL and/or SQL, I didnt find any other lanugage interacting with database tables as easily as RPG/LE or COBOL/400 or CL/400 does.
    Last edited by vikramx; July 8th, 2011 at 03:10 AM. Reason: Edit: Too many grammatical mistakes :(

The one thing to note about the RPG Cycle is that it's really these days only applicable when you are reading all records from an input file (IP = Input Primary), processing them and creating output (another file or a report).

The input can be extracted and sorted (usually done using OPNQRYF), and you have to assign an indicator to the incoming record (traditionally "01").

To process the record, in the detail line specifications you would have:

C 01 DO
    C ------
    C ENDDO

I don't have any examples handy online, will see if I can dig one out and upload the key portions to help give you an example - unless anyone else wants to beat me to it.

Using the RPG Cycle you don't have to (a) read your main input file, (b) prat around with a lot of code to check for level breaks, (c) depending on what the program is doing you can output your data/reports using the RPG Cycle too.

The generation who tried to enforce the use of Structured Programming on RPG forgot that RPG does in fact stand for Report Program Generator, and the language was designed to help make it easier to create reports, hence the Level Break indicators etc.

To not use these is like re-inventing the wheel, complete with pneumatic tires etc, and coming up with a wooden version like they used in ancient times.

An example would be great and if I can use it some instance, then I will gladly do so (provided a better alternative is unavailable).

And yes, I do remember it standing for Report Program Generator .

On a side note, we have cleverly side tracked what seemed to be a question on how to substring in RPG XD.

Quote Originally Posted by vikramx View Post
    On a side note, we have cleverly side tracked what seemed to be a question on how to substring in RPG XD.
    You are correct. I wonder if there are threads on the RPG Cycle already. I would be surprised if there were not.

Quote Originally Posted by Poddys View Post
    The one thing to note about the RPG Cycle is that it's really these days only applicable when you are reading all records from an input file (IP = Input Primary), processing them and creating output (another file or a report).

The input can be extracted and sorted (usually done using OPNQRYF), and you have to assign an indicator to the incoming record (traditionally "01").

To process the record, in the detail line specifications you would have:

C 01 DO
    C ------
    C ENDDO

I don't have any examples handy online, will see if I can dig one out and upload the key portions to help give you an example - unless anyone else wants to beat me to it.

Using the RPG Cycle you don't have to (a) read your main input file, (b) prat around with a lot of code to check for level breaks, (c) depending on what the program is doing you can output your data/reports using the RPG Cycle too.

The generation who tried to enforce the use of Structured Programming on RPG forgot that RPG does in fact stand for Report Program Generator, and the language was designed to help make it easier to create reports, hence the Level Break indicators etc.

To not use these is like re-inventing the wheel, complete with pneumatic tires etc, and coming up with a wooden version like they used in ancient times.
    well technically if you do not use the MAIN keyword on your H spec (and that is like v6.1 and higher) then you're "using" the cycle even if you don't think you are. *INLR if used is actually telling the RPG cycle to close all open files, etc. implicitly. so far the most part people are still using the CYCLE...just not the file processing, etc. portions
    I'm not anti-social, I just don't like people -Tommy Holden

22. # 666
    Circuit advertisement

Facebook Comments