64 Bit ODBC Driver? Free??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 64 Bit ODBC Driver? Free??

I have just received a new laptop which is running 64 bit Win7 pro. When I try to install the iSeries client, I receive the following error and the installation fails:

XCOPYFILE -2: An unexpected error has occurred while copying file from compressed file.

Not being able to install client access is not the end of the world as I have setup a 32 bit WinXP VM and this takes care of the few instances that I really need to use the client access software. However, I have quite a few web applications that rely upon an ODBC connection to the AS400 and I am not able to install the 32 bit drivers. The install disc that I am using is V5 R2 with a part number of SK3T-4098-01. Can anyone recommend a way to install the ODBC drivers or know of a free 64 bit driver that I can use?

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Re: 64 Bit ODBC Driver? Free??

get the updated version of CA. i use the 32-bit driver on my 64-bit machine with no problems. the latest version of CA is the client for v7r1 (v.7.1 for the purist ). and it is backward compatible should your as/400,iseries,system i, IBM i (pick your favorite name) be on a lower version of the OS.
    I'm not anti-social, I just don't like people -Tommy Holden

Comment

Originally posted by tomholden View Post
      get the updated version of CA. i use the 32-bit driver on my 64-bit machine with no problems. the latest version of CA is the client for v7r1 (v.7.1 for the purist ). and it is backward compatible should your as/400,iseries,system i, IBM i (pick your favorite name) be on a lower version of the OS.
      Thanks for the info, unfortunately we do not have a maintenance agreement with IBM and I can't imagine that this newer version would be free??

Comment

nope it's not free. FWIW not having current maintenance agreement will eventually bite you in the rear...(trust me i've seen it happen too often)

Comment

ok after a quick google...you might be able to download the newest client if you purchased client access for the current system without maintenance check out this thread (on another forum...sorry Jamie )http://forums.systeminetwork.com/isn...ad.php?t=75751

Comment

At a minimum you need CA V6R1 with Service Pack SI35607 to install on Windows 7.
            Denny

If authority was mass, stupidity would be gravity.

Comment

Im running v5r4 on a 64 bit laptop... works fine.
              Just what cant you install?

see image:

jamie
              Attached Files
              All my answers were extracted from the "Big Dummy's Guide to the As400"
              and I take no responsibility for any of them.

www.code400.com

Comment

I'm having this same error moving from windows xp to windows 7 x64. The issue I have found is if I copy the install files local I get the error referenced. If I run them from any remote network share then it works. This is not ideal for deployment but does work.

Anyone have any suggestions it has to be some permission or something but I have looked over all permissions can't find anything wrong. The copied local dir has the same number of files and the byte count is exact.

Comment

Not sure, but did you specify to "Run as Administrator"? I usually have more luck with installing stuff when I use that.

Comment

You can install I series Access directly from the ISeries. The images for the that version of the O/S the system is on are located in the QIBM\ProdData\Access\Windows folder. I have access to a 6.1 box and that has images for both 32 and 64 bit. You may be able to get what you need from there.

Comment

Originally posted by Viking View Post
                      Not sure, but did you specify to "Run as Administrator"? I usually have more luck with installing stuff when I use that.
                      Yes I get the same result if I use "run as administrator".

Comment

Working...
                      X