Searching spool files in RDP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Searching spool files in RDP

Am I missing this, but, in RDP, is there a way to search a spool file for a text string. Ideally, in RDP, I would like to be able to look at a source member and pull up the spool file from the latest compile like you can do in SEU

Re: Searching spool files in RDP

The beauty of RDx is that when you compile it gives the list of errors - you click on it and it will usually take you right to the line that generated the error.

Comment

Have you tried using the iSphere add-on for RDi and it's spooled files option? Works much better (in my opinion) than the one that comes with RDi.

iSphere is free, available here: https://sourceforge.net/projects/isphere/

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Klement View Post
        Have you tried using the iSphere add-on for RDi and it's spooled files option? Works much better (in my opinion) than the one that comes with RDi.

No, I haven't tried it but I certainly will. The last time I used RDI was about 4 years ago until last week. The company I went to work for has it (release 9.5). Thanks for the tip

Comment

Originally posted by Rocky View Post
          The beauty of RDx is that when you compile it gives the list of errors - you click on it and it will usually take you right to the line that generated the error.
          Quite right. With RDi, I almost never need a compile spooled file.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Klement View Post

OK, I've downloaded it. How do I activate it in RDP (we have v9.5)

Comment

Originally posted by jtaylor___ View Post
              Quite right. With RDi, I almost never need a compile spooled file.
              What if you want to look at the errors from a compile that took place the previous day. Or, in my case I may want to look at the field cross reference at the end of the most recent compile listing

Comment

Originally posted by gregwga50 View Post
                What if you want to look at the errors from a compile that took place the previous day. Or, in my case I may want to look at the field cross reference at the end of the most recent compile listing
                I can't think of a reason I'd want to do those things. About the reason I can think of that I'd want to look at a compile listing would be a question of *LIBL for external descriptions.

Comment

OK, I've downloaded it. How do I activate it in RDP (we have v9.5)
                  There is documentation for iSphere (including detailed installation information) here:

Comment

RDi - or more specifically Remote System Explorer (RSE) has the cross reference built real time as you're coding - you don't need to refer to a compile listing. I keep mine open all the time as I code - it's updated immediately so it's always current.

There's very few benefits to a compile listing in RDi - the only thing they're good for is producing compile errors and they come up as part of the compile anyway. There are people who set the compile option to not generate a listing off entirely. In my case, I use a compile listing when there's an error because of the change management package I use - but they provide an easy way to bring up the listing from the compile that makes it almost as simple as the standard RSE process.

Comment

Originally posted by Rocky View Post

RDi - or more specifically Remote System Explorer (RSE) has the cross reference built real time as you're coding - you don't need to refer to a compile listing. I keep mine open all the time as I code - it's updated immediately so it's always current.

There's very few benefits to a compile listing in RDi - the only thing they're good for is producing compile errors and they come up as part of the compile anyway. There are people who set the compile option to not generate a listing off entirely. In my case, I use a compile listing when there's an error because of the change management package I use - but they provide an easy way to bring up the listing from the compile that makes it almost as simple as the standard RSE process.
                      So, when I click on the error list, it brings up a list of the errors, then when I click on the error, it finds it in the LPEX editor. After I view it in the LPEX editor, how do I get the error to disappear in the editor. I noticed that if I click on just one *7031 error in the error list, it displays all the 7031 errors for every field that is not used in every file in the editor underneath the F spec for each file. I would like to get these 7031 errors to not be displayed anymore after I look at them once.

Comment

ctrl f5 clears the errors in the lpex editor.

Comment

The Error List view has options to Automatically Remove, or you can CTRL-F5.

Comment

under the options there is also insert only selected messages, that might be of interest too. Might try that one.

Comment

I like it, selected only insert message selected and automatically remove addressed messages. Click on one message and it only displays that one and once you edit the line it removes the error automatically.

Comment

Working...
                              X