client access

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• client access

can a 32 bit client access software run on a 64 bit windows OS?

Yes, I believe the general rule is that 32-bit software will run on 64-bit OS's, but 64-bit software won't run on 32-bit OS's.

Cheers,

Emmanuel

Comment

For iACS, we use the 32-bit client for all Windows PC's.

Comment

Client Access is (officially) no longer supported! Even it still runs on Windows 10 and 64 bit versions.
        The succsessor is ACS (Access Client Solution) which runs on (almost) all Operating Systems not only Windows and support 32 and 64 bit versions.
        Replace all your client access installations with ACS.

Birgitta

Comment

Birgitta,

Do you have a reference for the end of support for Client Access?

According to the End of Service column at this site: http://www-03.ibm.com/systems/power/...ndservice.html, for IBM i Access for Windows, "Twelve months notice will be given prior to termination of support"

Cheers,

Emmanuel

Comment

Here is IBM's main page for IBM i Access for Windows (which is what I assume you mean by "Client Access", as the actual product named "Client Access" was discontinued ages ago)

The very first paragraph on that page states:

--

Notice: IBM does not plan to support IBM i Access for Windows on operating systems beyond Windows 8.1. The replacement product is IBM i Access Client Solutions, which includes 5250 emulation, data transfer, printer output, console support, and more. For information regarding IBM i Access Client Solutions, refer to

http://www.ibm.com/systems/power/software/i/access/solutions.html

--

I believe that this is what Birgitta is referring to. It does not really mean that it is not supported at all, but it is not supported on Windows 10, and will not be developed further. (7.1 is the last version.)

Comment

Scott,

Thanks, I think you're probably right that this is what Birgitta was referring to.

OTOH, the discussion was about support for 64-bit operating systems; versions of Windows well before Windows 10 are 64-bit.

Cheers,

Emmanuel

Comment

Yes, the best answer to the original question is "It might. Depending on the situation." Unfortunately, the way the original question was asked was in general terms about a 64-bit Windows OS, so can't be given a specific, clear answer.

My experience has been that it will work on 64-bit Windows 7, 8, and 8.1. Sometimes it works on 64-bit Windows 10, and sometimes does not. It is clearly unsupported there, even if it works. I don't know about other 64-bit Windows versions.

Comment

Working...
                X