Convert RPGII c-specs to RPGFREE code

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Convert RPGII c-specs to RPGFREE code

are there any tools that will take a single source member of an RPGII and convert the c-specs to RPGFREE?

I do understand RPGII is type RPG and free is RPGLE and the source will not intermix... however I'm simply wondering if there is a slick little tool out there that can read RPGII fixed and "show" the RPGFREE equivalent.
    Last edited by jayvaughn; February 7, 2017, 01:54 PM.

Are you talking about RPGII or RPGIII, wasn't RPGII source type of RPG36 or something like that and RPGIII type of RPG. If you are really talking about converting RPGII to free that is going to be a process regardless, I am not aware of any tools to do this and I looked a while back. May even have a forum post on it. From what I remember converting from 2 to 3 is a pain.

Once to 3 you can use the IBM CVTRPGSRC to get it to 4 and then use the free format converter in RDI to do it or possibly use http://www.linomasoftware.com/produc...version-wizard to go direct from 3 to free.

Comment

http://www.jcrcmds.com/ also has a free tool
      http://arcadsoftware.com/resource-it...ansformer-rpg/ is paid

Comment

I've used Linoma Software's RPG Toolbox to convert RPGIII to RPG free-format with great results, but I have not converted from RPGII (never even had to work with it as I started on RPGIII). You'd have to check to see if they can do that. http://www.linomasoftware.com/products/rpg-toolbox

Comment

Originally posted by jj_dahlheimer View Post
          thanks but these do not process RPGII code. It's probably unlikely there will be one as there is too much built in cycle processing to be considered with these programs.

Comment

Originally posted by Viking View Post
            I've used Linoma Software's RPG Toolbox to convert RPGIII to RPG free-format with great results, but I have not converted from RPGII (never even had to work with it as I started on RPGIII). You'd have to check to see if they can do that. http://www.linomasoftware.com/products/rpg-toolbox
            thanks viking - yes III to Free is a pretty simple leap - rpgII is a different beast due to it's own cycle processing - but i would still think there is a way to simply convert c-spec syntax to free, even simply to help read the code!

Comment

Most RPG/36 code will compile as RPG/400. We always just changed from RPG36 to RPG and compiled it. Most often it worked, although sometimes not (IIRC there were some F-spec settings that were valid for RPG/36 but not RPG/400).

Comment

Another difference is that MOVEA works with numeric arrays in RPG II, but not in RPG IIII.

Comment

Originally posted by TedHolt View Post
                  Another difference is that MOVEA works with numeric arrays in RPG II, but not in RPG IIII.
                  RPG III does allow MOVEA with numeric arrays if the elements have the same length. To me, the only sensible use of MOVEA with different lengths was moving a character string to a 1A array, or vice versa. So the numeric array thing probably isn't a big deal.

What's seems like a much bigger deal is numeric fields in general. RPG II's only numeric data type for fields is zoned, and RPG III's default numeric data type is packed. So if the programs call each other and pass numeric parameters, they all have to be converted at the same time.

Comment

Originally posted by Barbara Morris View Post

RPG III does allow MOVEA with numeric arrays if the elements have the same length.
                    Thanks for clarifying that Barbara. I remember this as giving me some trouble when I left the S/36 and went to work on a S/38.

Comment

Originally posted by TedHolt View Post

Thanks for clarifying that Barbara. I remember this as giving me some trouble when I left the S/36 and went to work on a S/38.
                      You really had cases where it was meaningful to use MOVEA between numeric arrays with different lengths? Was it similar to the useful string case, and you wanted to work with the digits one at a time? (I never really had to work with RPG II except for very trivial test programs, so I'm probably being like a modern child wondering why their grandparents ever bothered to write letters on paper ... by hand! ... with a pen!)

Comment

Originally posted by Barbara Morris View Post
                        You really had cases where it was meaningful to use MOVEA between numeric arrays with different lengths?
                        I don't remember, Barbara. I left the S/36 behind me in 1988. I was probably moving numeric to alpha or vice versa. I just remember that when I went to my first S/38 job, I had trouble with MOVEA and numerics.

Comment

Working...
                        X