ibmi-brunch-learn

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would this feature idea be as useful as I think?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would this feature idea be as useful as I think?

We have some programs that make incredibly heavy use of \copy members to import standard DS's, PR's, etc.

When viewing/editing an rpg member in LPEX, you can right-click a \copy statement to open the included member in LPEX in another tab.

What I have always thought would be a good idea, would be the ability to click on a \copy member and have it expand and be displayed inline within the current source. Something like this:

Start with this:
    Code:
    0145.00        // Load Records prototype
    0146.00       /include LOADRECS
    0149.00        //***********************************************************************
    0150.00        // Mainline
    0151.00        //***********************************************************************
    0153.00        // Setup SQL Parameters
    0154.00        Exec SQL Set Option COMMIT = *None;
    0155.00        Exec SQL Set Option ALWBLK = *None;
    0156.00        Exec SQL Set Option CLOSQLCSR = *EndMod;
    Click on the /include and get something like this:

Code:
    0145.00        // Load Records prototype
    0146.00       /include LOADRECS

*0001.00        Dcl-Pr LOADRECS      extpgm;
    *0002.00          pMode              char(5);
    *0003.00          pKey1              char(10);
    *0004.00        End-Pr;

/endInclude LOADRECS
    0149.00        //***********************************************************************
    0150.00        // Mainline
    0151.00        //***********************************************************************
    0153.00        // Setup SQL Parameters
    0154.00        Exec SQL Set Option COMMIT = *None;
    0155.00        Exec SQL Set Option ALWBLK = *None;
    0156.00        Exec SQL Set Option CLOSQLCSR = *EndMod;
    With some kind of syntax highlighting to make it obvious it's included source.
    It would account for conditionals within the included source and only show the lines that would be included

Not to me, but I said the same thing about Mac support .

I say open an RFE and post the link.

Comment

I would continue to prefer it opening in another tab and wouldn't use the inline version if it became available. I guess I can see how some might like it though.

Just my $.02

Comment

I don't think I'd ever use this if it became a feature. It seems like it'd mostly be useful for shops that use copybooks as a replacement for macros... i.e. use it to copy in routines or parts of routines scattered throughout the code. To me, that is not the right way to approach things, you should be coding in modular routines -- and that is what my shop does. So the copybook only contrains definitions needed to call things like service programs. There aren't that many of them, and having all of the definitions hidden actually makes the code easier to read (less stuff to look through) so I would never use this.

Comment

What would you expect to see when you have many nested /includes? Let's say even just down to 5 levels (although I have seen more)?
          Regards

Kit
          http://www.ecofitonline.com
          DeskfIT - ChangefIT - XrefIT

Comment

Working...
          X