ibmi-brunch-learn

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What about the future for RPG programmers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What about the future for RPG programmers?

Hey guys,

I'm really curious to know your opinion if being a RPGLE (or IBM i) programmer is a good investment now and in the future.

I've heard mixed opinions. Some people tell it's an old language and will slowly die.
    Others say it will last and that good RPG programmers will be in great demand in the future because most "talent" coders choose other programming languages.

How do you think the supply and demand will be in the future?

Best Regards
    Carpiem

Purely my unsubstantiated opinion:
    I could probably finish out my career (30 years +/-) as an RPGLE dev. The big question is, would I be able to stomach the work? I think the more proactive shops are those more likely to leave RPG for other languages, rather than the dinosaurs running RPG36.

Comment

There is a lot of RPG code out there and in use. I think this will need to be maintained for many years. So maybe it depends upon the age of the developer as to whether or not they can stay with RPG for the rest of their career.

RPGLE has become quite "modern" in its form and capabilities, but unfortunately many shops are not necessarily taking advantage of everything it, or the IBM i, can do.

Comment

Working...
      X