inserting without specifying EVERY value

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• inserting without specifying EVERY value

so i'm wanting to do an insert to a table and only specify a couple of key values. the table has each column defined as "NOT NULL", but no default declared. Does this mean I have to specify a value for each one of those on my insert. If I don't it says null value not allowed in column.

my statement

exec sql
    insert into loanalt4 (a4loan)
    values (:i_loanNumber);

error
    Null values not allowed in column or variable A4SEQ.

a4seq in table...
    A4_SEQ FOR COLUMN A4SEQ NUMERIC(2,0) NOT NULL,
    Last edited by jayvaughn; April 26, 2017, 02:15 PM.

You could use ALTER TABLE to give the column a default value, then it will use that default. (or you can allow nulls...) if you don't, then yes you'll have to provide it each time you insert a new row. But if you give it a default, then you don't have to provide it...

The system has to do something with the column... it can set it to null or a default or a value you provide. But it has to do something...

Comment

figured that might be the case - issue is that there are like 95 columns in this table - uhhhhhhh - so may as well bite the bullet and define them and default value in the insert statement. I suppose if the ddl had default values specified, this wouldn't be necessary - correct?
      Last edited by jayvaughn; April 26, 2017, 02:22 PM.

Comment

would i be facing same situation if i declared an f-spec and took the native approach? - i tried that and got what seemed to be the same error????

Comment

Going native won't help, Jay. The database manager doesn't care where the data came from. That's the nice thing about using constraints, triggers, etc. to enforce data integrity -- there's no way around it.

Comment

Since it seems to be an (embedded) SQL Program, you could do the following trick:
            Define an external (array) data structure for your file.
            Clear or initialize this array data structure, fill your key columns into this array data structure and use:

Code:
            Exec SQL Insert into YourTable :NbrRows Rows
                             Values(:YourArrayDS);
            Birgitta

Comment

Working...
            X