ibmi-brunch-learn

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Service Entry Point debug using green screen?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Service Entry Point debug using green screen?

I only recently discovered Service Entry Point debugging in RDi. It's made it possible to debug some handler jobs where usually it is impossible to identify which job will handle your next request, so debugging with STRSRVJOB is impractical. The job is changed to run under the user ID that originated the request, so Service Entry Points work great.

One person I work with is a contractor, so the company will not pay for him to have an RDi licence, so he uses SEU and green screen tools exclusively. That means he cannot debug these jobs with RDi.

So I am wondering, is it possible for Service Entry Point debugging to work with green screen STRDBG? So he can debug these jobs without needing to know ahead of time which job will handle the request (it is not practical to hold all but one of the jobs, which is what I would normally do)

Yes it can be done - it is a pain in the ... compared with RDi but you can read about it here: http://iprodeveloper.com/rpg-program...bug-batch-jobs

Note: You must be registered on the site to read the article.

P.S. I have never understood this scenario. The company is paying this contractor by the hour but wants him to work more slowly than he could. In what universe does that make sense? The company would be well advised to have an extra license just for contractors to use. For that matter (and speaking as a sometime contractor myself) why doesn't the contractor own a license? If I hire plumber I don't expect to have to provide his tools. OK - rant over - I feel better now.

Comment

The graphical debugger is available directly from the jt400 driver download.

Jim

Debugging IBM i programs can be challenging if you are new to IBM i or used to debugging applications with graphical tools. This article shows you how to debug programs graphically using the integrated IBM i debugger.

Comment

Try this.
        A few years ago, I wrote a tip about my favorite way to debug programs using the Service Entry Point (SEP) feature of WDSC, which I have now replaced with RDP Rational Developer for Power Systems. If you?re a WDSC or RDP user and have somehow missed out on using SEPs for debugging, take a

Comment

Thanks all, I got it working.

Comment

Totally agree with JonBoy's rant on all counts. The company should provide RDi to developers, and the contractor should have that in his arsenal of tools.

Btw, if the contract is 60 days or less, then he can use RDi as a free trial and debug to his/hers heart's content.

Comment

Jon, Viking,

I disagree with you. If you are contracting off-site, it doesn't make a difference whether you use green-screen or RDi.
              However, if you're going to be on-site, unless it's a BYOD site (I have yet to come across one - but I haven't contracted for 12 years now so I'm a little out of touch), no BYOD is allowed. Even where I am now, and I've been here 13 years, only vendors during maintenance work are allowed to connect non-company devices. The guest-type users for vistors can basically only access the internet.
              This then excludes the possibility of using my license here.

For companies that do allow BYOD, maybe they should get one, depending on if he services many, or only one site.
              Last edited by kitvb1; October 19, 2017, 12:07 AM.
              Regards

Kit
              http://www.ecofitonline.com
              DeskfIT - ChangefIT - XrefIT

Comment

IMHO, if the company does not allow the contractor to use his own device (BYOD), then they should provide current tools. SEU is not a current tool and doesn't even recognize newer BIFs, etc., so RDi should be used for programming anyway. If I hired an on-site contractor for a long contract, then I would want him/her to be as efficient as possible and I would provide a contractor PC with RDi loaded on it. This is also what JonBoy suggested. In the OPs post, it also sounds like only the contractor doesn't have access to RDi, so why not have an extra license for contractors? And again, if the contract is less than 60 days, then they can load the trial and use it.

Just my $.02

Comment

He actually tells me he prefers SEU, and he's faster at navigating and coding through green screen than anyone I've ever seen.

I don't get the logic of why he's not allowed an RDi licence either, but it's not something I can change.

Comment

Working...
                  X