Need help understanding issue with %DECH

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help understanding issue with %DECH

I have the following line of code that works in production. I am now trying to reuse the module in another program and am now getting a "receiver too small for result error". Of course I've tried resizing and debugging etc...I can't see why this isn't working??

dcl-s halfAdjustResult packed(17:5);
    dcl-s divisionResult packed(17:5);

// When the program fails, divisionResult = -000000099999.00000
    halfAdjustResult = %dech(divisionResult:5:2);

I tried resizing halfAdjustResult to be packed(20:8). I've tried debugging setting divisionResult = 999.00 or 999.12 just to see if I can get past this statement....

Am I misunderstanding what %dech is supposed to do? I am thinking it will give me value round to two decimal places?? So if my divisionResult variable = 1234.56700, I am expecting 1234.57000.

Karen

In your %dech you have the precision parameter set to 5 with the number of decimal places set to 2... don't you need the precision to be set larger? 5:2 only gives you enough room for 999.99 at most. Perhaps it works in your other program because the expression never gets larger than that?

Comment

evawebrez02 is right. You need at least 7:2 if you want to handle the value 99999.00

But since you're assigning it to a 17:5, which allows up to 12 integer places, you should probably code at least 14:2 for the %DECH.

Comment

Thank you!!!!

Comment

Working...
        X