Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How as400 memory works

Hi,

I'm curious about how as400 memory works?
    How physical file that we chain or read in rpgle will be loaded in memory?
    Will the system load 10 consecutives record so next request it already in memory (to be faster)?
    If the record in file exceeds 4096 (1 page memory is 4096 right?), what will happen? Will it make the fault page high?
    How much memory usage per job in spesific pool id that i created?

Anyone can give me enlighment regarding this.
    Try googling but cant found the answer.

Thank you

This is one of those topics that has a multitude of layers of information. The system does read a number of records/rows from the drives into memory for a read or chain... how many depends on record size, if the file is open for sequential read or update, etc... memory faults is dependant more on the workload and configuration of the pool more than anything else...

For more information go to http://www.ibm.com/support/knowledge...sprintthis.htm - this is the work management manual for 7.1. If you aren't on 7.1 that's ok as this really hasn't changed that much for a very long time.

Comment

Actually you can download the manual for V5R4, 6.1, 7.1, 7.2 or 7.3 from above link.

Comment

Thank you Rocky...

Comment

Originally posted by Rocky View Post
          ...that's ok as this really hasn't changed that much for a very long time.
          I'm not sure if it's fortunate or unfortunate, but it's only true that "work management" hasn't changed much. The manuals, though, have changed significantly. If a V5R1 manual can be found, I'd recommend it far more than any of the slimmed down versions that are currently available.
          Tom

There are only two hard things in Computer Science: cache invalidation, naming things and off-by-one errors.

Why is it that all of the instruments seeking intelligent life in the universe are pointed away from Earth?

Comment

Thank you Tom...

Comment

Working...
            X