PHP call to RPG to return JSON

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PHP call to RPG to return JSON

Not even sure if this makes sense, but a co-worker is working with the Zend Server and making an RPG call from his PHP script. The RPG progam uses YAJL and is hoping to grab the JSON from that standard output. So far no luck. Is this possible? Does it make sense?

I call my YAJL/RPG programs directly from my ExtJS Ajax.Request, so it doesn't make sense to me.

Thanks in advance.
    Your friends list is empty!

If you're calling the RPG in a way that stdout would be connected to your PHP script, then it makes perfect sense.

If you're not, then it does not make sense.

This doesn't seem to have anything to do with YAJL or JSON... but, its as simple as you can't use a communication channel that isn't connected.

Comment

Thanks Scott.

"If you're calling the RPG in a way that stdout would be connected to your PHP script, then it makes perfect sense."

I'm not familiar with PHP at all. Is there a way to accomplish the above?
      Your friends list is empty!

Comment

Calling it as a web service would work, opening a pipe to a new process on the box that in turn calls RPG would work... I expect there are more ways?

I'm not really a PHP guy, either. I'm not the best person to enumerate all of the ways of calling things from PHP and telling you which will/won't work.

Ultimately, it boils down to using whatever data passing mechanism is appropriate for your chosen way of calling the RPG. If you are manually opening a pipe to it, then use that pipe to send the data. If you're calling a web service, use the mechanism the web service tool provides for returning data. If you're calling via SQL, use a result set or parameter. If you're calling via something like XMLSERVICE, use the mechanism it provides (which I think is just parameters).

Comment

Working...
        X