Running commands on the AS400 from Powershell via QCMDEXC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Running commands on the AS400 from Powershell via QCMDEXC

This was sort of a "just because I can" type of thing. At any rate it works.
    I'm sure there are issues, I suspect the way I'm handling single quotes won't work in all cases for one. I figured you guys might find it interesting.

http://pastebin.com/sHgRBpXX

Re: Running commands on the AS400 from Powershell via QCMDEXC

nice.

In version 7.1 and higher you can ignore the length parm but you need qsys2.

Code:
    call qsys2.qcmdexc('DSPUSRPRF USRPRF(DEADMAN) OUTPUT(*PRINT)')
    Hunting down the future ms. Ex DeadManWalks. *certain restrictions apply

Comment

Originally posted by DeadManWalks View Post
      nice.

In version 7.1 and higher you can ignore the length parm but you need qsys2.

Code:
      call qsys2.qcmdexc('DSPUSRPRF USRPRF(DEADMAN) OUTPUT(*PRINT)')
      Ahh yeah, I thought I remembered something like that. I'll have to check if our box has it.

Comment

Actually, it's worked this way for a long time, long before IBM started distributing the QCMDEXC stored proc. Essentially any *PGM can be called in this way (including QSYS/QCMDEXC) without defining a DB2 stored proc as long as you don't need output parameter values.

But in i 6.1 (or was it V5R4?) IBM started distributing an actual stored proc -- QSYS2.QCMDEXC(). It's actually overloaded so that there are two definitions.

One accepts a command string as the first parameter and a numeric length value as the second parameter. That's defined as an external stored proc that uses QSYS/QCMDEXC to do the command execution. You can test it with STRSQL:
        Code:
        > call qsys2.qcmdexc ('sndmsg hi toml', 14)
          CALL statement complete.
        The second definition is a SQL stored proc, and it can be called in STRSQL like this:
        Code:
        > call qsys2.qcmdexc ('sndmsg hi toml')
          CALL statement complete.
        Or maybe better as:
        > call qcmdexc ('sndmsg hi toml')
          CALL statement complete.
        The SQL version doesn't need a length (even in i 6.1). The SQL in the stored proc calculates the LENGTH() and then passes it as a parm to QSYS2.QCMDEXC().
        Tom

There are only two hard things in Computer Science: cache invalidation, naming things and off-by-one errors.

Why is it that all of the instruments seeking intelligent life in the universe are pointed away from Earth?

Comment

Please excuse this question as I am new to this - can someone please supply me with the line needed to call out the AS/400 to connect to it? Thank you in advance!

Comment

If you are using powershell then the connection is shown in the code at the link provided.
            PHP Code:
                #Open connection to AS400

$conn = New-Object System.Data.Odbc.OdbcConnection
                $conn
            .ConnectionString "Driver={iSeries Access ODBC Driver};System=AS400;Uid=USER;Pwd=PASS;"

$conn.Open() 
            the smoking gnu

Comment

Working...
            X