how to set WRKRPYLE for Cobol 36 error

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how to set WRKRPYLE for Cobol 36 error

I am working with stone knives and bearskins and S36 RPG ii , Cobol36 and OCL. One of the first things I am doing is converting flat files to DDS defined files. I was doing ok until I changed the customer master file. This file is accessed by both RPG and COBOL, and the cobol is complaining with
    CBL3035 Options (0 23F)
    I/O operation failed. Required error handler missing.

I can barely find my way around cobol, but I do know the cobol36 programs were compiled with a copy book of the customer master file. the copy book has typical long cobol field names with dashes. The new externally defined customer master file has old fashioned 6 character field names.

Is there a way I can auto reply with a 0 to the cobol 36 error messages? If they were not cobol 36 I could probably use monmsg in CL, but these antiques are called by OCL.
    I tried a few different parameters in WRKRPYLE, but they have not worked .

If I cannot auto reply, I'll have to figure out how to fix/modernize a whole bunch of cobol programs. I was hoping to move a little more gradually.

---Dale

This was for RPG/36, but you might be able to work with it. Our old instructions said to run the S/36 procedure after every OS upgrade. I assume the member at the bottom contains messages to handle. I'm afraid I can't explain how it works since S/36 was way, way before my time.

S/36 procedure
    Code:
    // RESPONSE member,library
    // NOHALT 3,SYSTEM

member,library refers to an actual source member in source file QS36SRC

member,library (from above)
    Code:
    RPG                                
    9013 0,3 DIVIDE BY ZERO            
    SYS                                
    2721 0,3 MSG-DEVICE NOT ON SYSTEM  
    RPG                                
    9030 3,3 UNDEFINED RECORD TYPE

Comment

Wow, talk about a trip down memory lane!

I vaguly recall the RESPONSE stuff from s36 days.

I will try it and see if it helps. Thanks for reminding me how things used to be in the not-all-that-good old days

Comment

THANK YOU!!!

After finding some old S36 PDF manuals and a little bit of experimenting, I got it to work. At a system wide level, no less.
        I am continually surprised that this old stuff still works and equally disappointed that I need to use it.

At least we are working our way off all that old junk.

---Dale

Comment

sponsored links

Collapse

Working...
        X