IBM Navigator for i, not very good.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IBM Navigator for i, not very good.

What a mess this application is. Extremely slow, inconsistent and certain features just don't work. Does anybody use it ? Client Access was better than this.

I am holding out but as Win7 is getting swapped out for Win10 I will have no choice eventually. The don't work part of the client is what gets me pissed off. All they had to do was reinvent the same wheel in JAVA.......

My 2 cents.
    Last edited by Tom Wheeler; August 30, 2018, 07:34 AM.

Comment

It really is a sorry state of affairs. However, I did manage to get System i Navigator (Client Access) V7R1 installed and running satisfactorily on Win 10 PC using service pack SI67278.

Comment

Client Access is no longer a strategical product. Just replace it with ACS (Access Client Solution). This is the recommended replacement for Client Access and NOT the web application.

IBM i Access - Client Solutions

Birgitta.

Comment

• jtaylor___
          jtaylor___ commented
          Editing a comment
          For System i Navigator (iNav), there's no replacement in iACS.For iNav, the replacement is the IBM Navigator for i web app.

• jtaylor___
          jtaylor___ commented
          Editing a comment
          You're correct that some DB functions in iNav are included in iACS, and those work great. The system admin tools in iNav aren't in iACS.

I still run iNav and will continue to do so until it finally dies.

Comment

Originally posted by jtaylor___ View Post
          I still run iNav and will continue to do so until it finally dies.
          This is what we use also.

Comment

still using Client Access on Win 10 & have been for a few months with no issues. it's not supported by IBM on Win 10, doens't mean it doesn't work it just means if you have issues you'll have to deal with them yourself
            I'm not anti-social, I just don't like people -Tommy Holden

Comment

• jtaylor___
              jtaylor___ commented
              Editing a comment
              That's great news! I've tried to use the web Navigator, but it's just so OMG SLOW!

Originally posted by JimKerr View Post
            What a mess this application is. Extremely slow, inconsistent and certain features just don't work. Does anybody use it ? Client Access was better than this.
            Output queues. We constantly need to use them on a daily basis. System i Navigator, for the most part-ish, does a decent job of letting you move spool files around. Navigator for i (on the web) looks nice, but performs a bit slowly.

@ OP - Has your experience improved, or have you found an alternative?

Comment

• jtaylor___
              jtaylor___ commented
              Editing a comment
              iACS has decent "Printer Output" support.

It's all in the machine - our new system it flies...

Comment

• jtaylor___
              jtaylor___ commented
              Editing a comment
              We've got a POWER9 on order. I'll hold you to that...

• Rocky
              Rocky commented
              Editing a comment
              You'll like it - we went down a tier and it still smokes my previous system.

• jtaylor___
              jtaylor___ commented
              Editing a comment
              I concur. My POWER7 took the web Nav 32 seconds to load the list of Authorization Lists. The new POWER9 takes about 3-4 seconds. Huge gain.

iACS has decent "Printer Output" support.
            True, looks nice, but if only it'd let you view other output queues besides your own.

Comment

• jtaylor___
              jtaylor___ commented
              Editing a comment
              Edit->Filter

Originally posted by LiQuiD_FuSioN View Post

True, looks nice, but if only it'd let you view other output queues besides your own.
            It does. Go to Edit -> Filter. Change from Current user to Specify user and you can look at any users spool files - or use ALl users and specify an outq - or you can put in job information and see spool file sassociated with a job... and/or a date & time range.

Comment

Originally posted by Rocky View Post

It does. Go to Edit -> Filter. Change from Current user to Specify user and you can look at any users spool files - or use ALl users and specify an outq - or you can put in job information and see spool file sassociated with a job... and/or a date & time range.
              I see it now, good to know. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by LiQuiD_FuSioN View Post

Output queues. We constantly need to use them on a daily basis. System i Navigator, for the most part-ish, does a decent job of letting you move spool files around. Navigator for i (on the web) looks nice, but performs a bit slowly.

@ OP - Has your experience improved, or have you found an alternative?

I don't use iACS very often. It's just too slow. I do use the 5250 emulator and file transfer.

When I am working with files on the IFS I use Client Access/Ops Nav and pretty much everything else. I should get back to using iACS I suppose.

Comment

• jtaylor___
                  jtaylor___ commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Slow for what? Mine seems to run just as fast as anything else. (Not counting Nav for i, which isn't part of iACS. iACS just links to a different app.)

Is anyone aware of any third party replacement for System i Navigator? I agree with Jim that the web interface is just a clunky mess(and we're on a Power9). We've managed to get System i Navigator up and running on Windows Server 2016 but I've accepted the fact that we are on borrowed time. I'd gladly pay for a 1 to 1 System i Navigator replacement.

Comment

Originally posted by rmorrison View Post
                  Is anyone aware of any third party replacement for System i Navigator? I agree with Jim that the web interface is just a clunky mess(and we're on a Power9). We've managed to get System i Navigator up and running on Windows Server 2016 but I've accepted the fact that we are on borrowed time. I'd gladly pay for a 1 to 1 System i Navigator replacement.
                  Hello! I know this is a painfully old response back, but what exactly were you trying to accomplish?

CL programs can be created to read all spooled files in an output queue and have them moved to another one. Or, if you have the money, you can buy a BRMS - Advanced Feature license so you can move all spooled files easily from one output queue to another from green screen command; even run reports.

Comment

Working...
                  X