ibmi-brunch-learn

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help! Need to re-start telnet services on As400 iSeries!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help! Need to re-start telnet services on As400 iSeries!

I can't connect to our AS400 iSeries via TN5250 PC emulator because ENDTCPSRV was enabled. Our AS400 admin retired. I need to run STRTCPSRV on the AS400 but it doesnt have a monitor attached to it and I cant see a vga port on the box. Does someone know how can I connect a monitor to the box, so I can restart that service to be able to connect via PC? I have no idea what i am doing.

That's not how it works, you can't connect a monitor and keyboard like a PC.

Instead, you have to have a console set up. Basically, a console is a terminal that is available when telnet is down (or even when the system is in single-user/restricted mode, and therefore not allowing anyone to log on at all).

You need to find out how the console was set up on this box (there are different ways, such as direct cable attached terminals vs. ethernet LAN consoles, etc) and use that method for the console.

Comment

Like Scott said, you'll need the console. If it's really old-school, you'll have a dumb terminal sitting close to the server. If you have a LAN console, you'll need the client software plus a valid login. For LAN console, if you have some flavor of Client Access installed, you may have an "Operations Console" app in your start menu (depends on what components were installed). If you have the newer i Access Client Solutions, for LAN console it's a "5250 Console" link on the main app window.

Comment

Thanx for the replies and the guidance!!!

Like i said... i have no idea what i am doing lol That's why you guys make the big bucks!

Comment

Assuming that the system has been in regular use, a console/terminal possibly hasn't been needed for a number of years. Console access may be available via LAN console for example.

But just to manage telnet services, iSeries Navigator should be more than enough.
          Tom

There are only two hard things in Computer Science: cache invalidation, naming things and off-by-one errors.

Why is it that all of the instruments seeking intelligent life in the universe are pointed away from Earth?

Comment

Originally posted by tomliotta View Post
            Assuming that the system has been in regular use, a console/terminal possibly hasn't been needed for a number of years. Console access may be available via LAN console for example.

But just to manage telnet services, iSeries Navigator should be more than enough.
            Yea that's the problem... i can't telnet into the system because telnet is disabled. Hence the need to connect directly into the box.

Comment

Originally posted by Sam Bou View Post

Yea that's the problem... i can't telnet into the system because telnet is disabled. Hence the need to connect directly into the box.
              Tom's got a point, assuming telnet is the only thing down. In the iNav GUI or Nav for i web UI, Network->Servers->TCP/IP. That will give you a list of servers, and you can just start TELNET from there.

Comment

Yeah, using the old iSeries Navigator or more recent Navigator for i would work with Telnet down (assuming that those are available, of course). I've also done it via FTP in a pinch situation. But assuming everything is down, you'd want to use the console.

Comment

thanx everyone... i was able to find and boot our now retired mainframe admin's laptop. Luckily, it had operations console installed with a connection configured. After a a couple of clicks I was able to find a "RUN COMMAND" option which I used to restart Telnet and FTP services. Now we can connect to it via 5250 emulators and our machines. Now I just need to be able to download our QDDSSRC files in order to migrate the data into a MS SQL Server.

Comment

Working...
                  X