ibmi-brunch-learn

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Net Printing from Advanced/36 partition Possible?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Net Printing from Advanced/36 partition Possible?

Hi.
    I have an issue I need to resolve but have no background to do it by myself.
    hope some one here can help.

I have an AS/400 eSeries 170 V4R3 running an M36 SSP partition. all my printers there are Twinax.
    but I have several LAN connected printers that I need to print from within M36 SSP.
    I can connect and print to this printers from AS400 side just fine. using
    Code:
    CRTDEVPRT DEVD(NPRT32BR) DEVCLS(*LAN)                      
    TYPE(3812)  MODEL(1)  LANATTACH(*IP)                    
    PORT(9100)  ONLINE(*YES) FONT(11)                          
    FORMFEED(*AUTOCUT) PRTERRMSG(*INFO)                  
    INACTTMR(*SEC15) PARITY(*NONE)                     
    STOPBITS(1)  TRANSFORM(*YES)                   
    MFRTYPMDL(*HP4) RMTLOCNAME('192.168.1.32')        
    SYSDRVPGM(*HPPJLDRV)
    but is it possible to now connect to to this printer from M36 and print to it?
    I have exactly the same printer hooked up via Twinax adaptor and working, but I want to use TCP/IP connection on new ones as they are in a location where there is simply no twinax cables exists.

Found this System 36 to OS400 command cross-reference:

Doesn't look like anything TCP/IP-related in the list, so I think you're out of luck.

Cheers,

Emmanuel

Comment

I am not sure it would be a command.
      I am thinking more of a way to kind of pass-through the Lan printer form AS400 to M36.
      a process of maybe connecting the functioning printer from AS400 to M36 partition via a "Virtual device/Controller"

as an outline :

add a real printer device to AS400 using "CRTDEVPRT DEVD(<RealLanPrinter>) DEVCLS(*LAN) TYPE(3812) MODEL(1) LANATTACH(*IP) PORT(9100) ...."
      add a virtual device and point the outQ to the writer/printq used by the real device configured above.
      add the virtual device to M36 so it can be used there as a printer.

so far I have not been able to find anything that would definitely says NO can't do it OR yes you can...

Comment

Well, if a S/36 spooled file can be sent to any OS/400 *OUTQ, define one as a remote *OUTQ that sends to the LAN printer.
        Last edited by tomliotta; May 16, 2017, 07:54 PM.
        Tom

There are only two hard things in Computer Science: cache invalidation, naming things and off-by-one errors.

Why is it that all of the instruments seeking intelligent life in the universe are pointed away from Earth?

Comment

thanks Tom, I kind of got to this point as well.
          I have found "CFG RED sg244559.pdf" Red book "AS/400 Advanced 36 SSP 7.5 and OS/400 V3R6: Coexistence Examples"
          I used info on page 30 of the document or page 44 of the PDF files, they do not coincide.
          it describes a way to link outq to M36 partition.
          so I have tried linking the outq created for the LAN printer. by CRTDEVPRT.

just in case some one else needs a hand,
          what you do is this follow this steps
          1. use "CRTM36CFG" or "WRKM36CFG" on AS400 side
          2. use option 2 (Define M36 display and printer devices) to get to the controllers page
          here is where it might get tricky for some setups. my config uses *DEV for all controllers so it is not machine specific.
          I guess if you have empty slot you might be able to add *DEV device.
          3. pick a controller slot you want to use and add "*OUTQ" for every port/address you want to use for LAN printer.

4. Go back to the main config page(Create/Edit M36 Configuration) and choose option 3(Define M36 display and printer device attributes)
          than choose the controller you used to define the ques.
          5. on the " Dsp M36 Dsp and Prt Dev Attributes " screen change the device attributes for all "*OUTQ" devices
          set " Display M36 Signon at IPL " = N
          set "Spooling Attribute " = <LIB>/<PRINTER Q> most common lib for manually defined printers is "QUSRSYS" and the printerQ name is most often matches the name of printer device used in "CRTDEVPRT" unless you manually change that.

Next Step(s) is to IPL the M36 machine and configure the printers inside using "CNFIGSSP"

so far I know I can print from M36 partition normally using the setup above.
          my next step is see if it works with label and barcode printers just as well as with regular ones.

Attached Files

Comment

ok, need to revisit this. the process described in previous post does work but not 100%.
            the m36 can print to a generic qprint que just fine. but will not accept the LAN printer quie properly.
            if I find a fix will post it here.

Comment

Working...
            X