ibmi-brunch-learn

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help with configuring SMTP email address to receive Delivery Status Notification

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with configuring SMTP email address to receive Delivery Status Notification

Hi all

following this documents

I'm try to configure email address to receive Delivery Status Notification
    (I run V7R1); I followed this step:

1. Specify an email address to receive Delivery Status Notification
    messages on the NFYDLVRY parameter of the CHGSMTPA command

2. CRTUSRPRF USRPRF(NONDELIVER) PASSWORD(*NONE) STATUS(*DISABLED)
    INLMNU(*SIGNOFF) TEXT('Email Nondelivery')

3. ADDDIRE USRID(NONDELIV system_name) USRD('Nondelivery')
    USER(NONDELIVER) SYSNAME(*LCL) MSFSRVLVL(*SYSMS) PREFADR(*SMTP)
    USRDFNFLD((SMTPAUSRID SMTP 'nondelivery') (SMTPDMN SMTP
    'host_name.domain_name'))

N.B. 'host_name.domain_name' retrived form option 12 from cfgtcp commad menu

4. Stopped SMTP MSF and restarted

If I try to send a mail to and wrong address (with SNDM command from
    http://uzaemon.d.dooo.jp/) , I don't receive any Delivery Status
    Notification; what can I check ?

Thanks in advance

My understanding is (1) the 'nondelivery' instructions involve the IBM i e-mail server, but (2) SNDM generally is used to bypass the IBM i server. Though I don't use SNDM, I've thought that it's commonly used on systems that don't have the IBM i e-mail server fully configured and usually not even started. The e-mail sent by SNDM isn't (usually) sent across a connection between the IBM i e-mail server and a recipient server, so the reverse route that a 'nondelivery' note could be sent is not known to the remote server and that server can't know where it should go.

Much of that could vary depending on the exact SNDM command, the configuration and status of the IBM i e-mail server, any relevant DNS entries, any firewall between the IBM i system and the remote e-mail server, the configuration of the remote e-mail server, and possibly other factors.

For the most part, I'd assume that 'nondelivery' notifications for SNDM simply should be expected never to show up back within IBM i (with one possible exception). If such notices are needed, then actual IBM i e-mail services should be used to do the sending and receiving of e-mail items. Even then, factors outside of IBM i may be more likely to be obstacles. (Many e-mail servers have 'nondelivery' notices disabled.)

The one SNDM exception could be if SNDM is unable to hand the e-mail item off to a remote server. I don't know how SNDM signals its caller (other than possible *DIAG/*ESCAPE messages). If any signal is sent, I would expect the caller of SNDM to then be responsible for creating any 'nondelivery' notes.
    Tom

There are only two hard things in Computer Science: cache invalidation, naming things and off-by-one errors.

Why is it that all of the instruments seeking intelligent life in the universe are pointed away from Earth?

Comment

Working...
    X