Prevent delete of IFS directory

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prevent delete of IFS directory

Would like to prevent the deletion of directories in the IFS. It would be ok for a user to delete an individual file within the directory, just want to make sure the directory itself does not get deleted. Any suggestions? Thanks.

"Directories in the IFS" is extremely broad. This can relate to the library file system, document library services, optical file systems etc etc etc. Basically everything.
    I can only suggest looking at the object authority for these directories.

Comment

Should've been more specific. I'm referring to the root file system, not qsys.lib, not QDLS, nor a user-defined file system.

Certain directories under /root are shared. For example, /home/mydir has multiple directories under it, such as, /home/mydir/2017 and /home/mydir/2018 and these directories have more subdirectories. I want to prevent a user from deleting the directory /home/mydir/2017 as that will "kill" a lot of subdirectories and files.

Will removing object existence authority from *PUBLIC or specific users prevent the deletion of the directory?

Comment

Here is a link to the RMVDIR command which explains the authority restrictions: https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledg.../cl/rmvdir.htm

Comment

There's also *ALLOBJ special authority to consider as part of a user profile or group/supplements group profiles. I would hope that *ALLOBJ would be highly restricted but is another consideration on top of the objects authorities.

Comment

Regarding *ALLOBJ, I'm the only one with "god-like" powers besides a few Q* profiles. My suspicion is that the directory was deleted, accidentally, by a windows user as the IFS directory is set as a share on the PCs. I've turned on *DELETE auditing (I know, the horse has left the barn) but that will only tell me "whodunnit". Also, the process creates new sub-directories when a new month starts, so I'll have to change how that directory gets ownership.
            I will test the RMVDIR command after I change the ownership/rights to the parent directory to see what happens.
            Thanks for all the suggestions.

Comment

Working...
            X