QSH - change the time format of LS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• QSH - change the time format of LS

When using QSH, how can I get the ls command to format the dates as an ISO Date/Time? I've been googling, but haven't found anything that works yet.

I don't know of any way to get ls to output in ISO Date/Time format. Not in QShell nor PASE (nor Linux nor ...). I won't be too surprised if Scott posts a way, though.

I'd get it done in one of two ways. First, I wouldn't use ls at all. I'd use the various APIs to read the entries I wanted and format output however I needed it. And second, I'd use the ls -lT option to put the full timestamp into the output. Then I'd read that output file and convert the date/time to a "YYYY-MM-DD HH:MI:SS" format, putting updated lines to a new file.

It might be possible with a script, but it's faster for me to code a basic proc using the ILE CEE* APIs.
    Tom

There are only two hard things in Computer Science: cache invalidation, naming things and off-by-one errors.

Why is it that all of the instruments seeking intelligent life in the universe are pointed away from Earth?

Comment

You can use the -lT (little ell, big tee) switches with ls to get the complete date and time, but you'd need to pipe the output into something else to reformat the date and time. I think Perl might be able to do that.

Comment

Thanks for the responses. I was hoping for a quick way to switch it in QSH, as I was on a customer box. I've used the API's to compare the time stamps, unfortunately I was dealing with a customer who hadn't updated our software in two years, so my utility doesn't exist on their system. I ended up getting the output of ls into Excel, and manipulating the dates there.

From googling it seems like it might be possible if you create a custom local and manipulate the LC_TIME environment variable. But I was on a customer box and didn't feel like playing around on their system too much.

http://www.ibm.com/support/knowledge...eatelocale.htm

Comment

You can set a preferred date/time format by creating (or updating) a locale, but I'm not aware of that having an appropriate effect on ls output. If I look at the default locale on one of my systems, it has no relationship to the ls date/time formats. The job locale for me is *SYSVAL, which points to the QLOCALE system value, which points to /QSYS.LIB/EN_US.LOCALE. I haven't done any testing, but I then guess that ls simply doesn't use a locale for it.

Could be worth trying, though.
          Tom

There are only two hard things in Computer Science: cache invalidation, naming things and off-by-one errors.

Why is it that all of the instruments seeking intelligent life in the universe are pointed away from Earth?

Comment

Depending on why you're comparing timestamps, there might be better solutions than using 'ls'

For example, the 'find' utility has options for comparing if one file is newer/older than another. It also has options for finding files that have/haven't been modified/accessed within a certain number of days, etc.

Sounds like this is already solved.. but, if it comes up again, giving us a bigger picture would give us the chance to point out different tools (besides ls) tht might make your life easier.

Comment

Working...
            X