• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rename files in IFS

Anyway to do this on the IFS:

ren *.txt *.old

I can do

ren file.txt file.old

But sometimes I don't know what the name of the file is and I just need to rename the extension. I have a CL that does alot of work to get the exact name of the file so I can do the rename but that is very cumbersome work.

Thanks in advance...

Re: Rename files in IFS

this will get you started I cleaned it up the best I could
    (it does compile)
    Attached Files
    All my answers were extracted from the "Big Dummy's Guide to the As400"
    and I take no responsibility for any of them.

www.code400.com

Comment

This will replace all of the .txt files in the current working directory with the .old extension. If you are going to use this often you might want to save this as a file and include a prompt for the directory that you want to run this on. Forgot to mention this is for QSHELL

Code:
      for filename in *.txt
      do
      ext=`basename $filename .txt`;
      mv $filename $ext.old;
      done
      Last edited by abercrombieande; February 24, 2012, 11:28 AM.

Comment

Hi RpgKnight:

nice article here on that very subject (the title is Mass Rename of IFS Files) :
        I find Qshell a powerful tool for manipulating IFS files, but some Qshell features make me long for my MS DOS batch file programming days. A case in point is the ability to rename files in mass. Let me show you what I mean. I want to rename the files with a .txt extension so

Best of Luck
        GLS
        The problem with quotes on the internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity.....Abraham Lincoln

Comment

I love this site .... I just had to say it.

I've been struggling all day trying to figure out how to do this and I hop out here to post a question on how to do it and lo and behold, the answer is already here. You gotta love it....

I have just one question though .... just learning how to do lots of cool things with the ISF and using QSHELL.... how do I tell it which folder I want to work with?

Comment

pwd = print working directory
            cd = change directory
            ls = list files in directory
            cat = view file contents

You can always use the fully qualified path which is /. For example no matter the current directory, you could do something like ls /home/abercrombieande/java which would be like using the drive on windows c:\abercrombieande\java. If not fully qualified its relative to the current directory.

$ pwd
            /home/
            $ cd abecrombieande/java
            $pwd /home/abercrombieande/java
            cd .. ###Goes back a directory
            $pwd
            /home/abercrombieande
            cat$ f10984
            find "${DIR}" -type f -atime +${DAYS} > /home/backups/filelist
            while read LINE
            do
            echo $LINE
            tar -rf /home/backups/${dt}.tar ${LINE} .....

Basic commands
            http://www.tylogix.com/Articles/Expl...ies_QSHELL.htm
            Last edited by abercrombieande; March 30, 2012, 06:17 AM.

Comment

Thanks Abercrombieande! I thought that's what I needed to do but wasn't sure. Figured I play it safe and ask and save myself some headaches.

Comment

Okay - finally getting back to this and I'm having issues still. I'm attaching the program and a picture of what is in the IFS ... I just don't get it - all I want to do is change the file extension from .00x to .TIF and its telling me No such path or directory

Why won't this work

Click image for larger version

Name:	ScreenHunter_01 Apr. 27 16.43.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	128.3 KB
ID:	126508

badtiffr02.PDF

Help....

Roxann

How do I post my code? I have a PDF but I don't find an attachment icon....the day has been too long....sigh... what an idiot...it is there. Ha
                Last edited by NYCountryGal; April 27, 2012, 02:52 PM.

Comment

in the RvMailPf does the contents of the EmMail field have a / as the first character? if not you can put it in your code Path = '/' + %Trim(EmMail); if the slash isn't there it will look in the current directory of the job for the path.
                  I'm not anti-social, I just don't like people -Tommy Holden

Comment

Tom - It has the '/' in the first position.... that's what I don't understand - it should work.

Comment

What are you trying to do with FirstSpace and Period?

Comment

wild guess would be to add %TRIM() on the call to the API Rename( %TRIM(CurrentName): %TRIM(NewName)) since you aren't using varying length char fields it's passing the full length of data including blanks to the API.

Comment

@Abercrombieande - In my CL I do a LS command to a file and I read that file to get the names of the images that are in the folder. I'm using first space to determine if the name fills the entire field or is it smaller and period I'm using to locate the extension. It was my feeble attempt at trying to figure out why the heck it isn't working.

@Tom - I'll try that and let you know.

I'm working on three different issues today - one is easy so to speak - I'm converting a S36 program to RPGIV, the next issue is trying to clean up a user profile where the percent of private authority entries exceeds .60 on a V6R1 box and our savsecdta is taking over 3+ hours to save, and then there's this issue. Definitely makes the day go by faster....

Thanks

Comment

@Tom - Okay I just tried what you suggested and I am still getting the same message - No such path or directory.

It's going to be something so obvious and stupid...it always is....sigh

Comment

Originally posted by NYCountryGal View Post
                              @Tom - Okay I just tried what you suggested and I am still getting the same message - No such path or directory.

It's going to be something so obvious and stupid...it always is....sigh
                              apparently it's not that obvious...stupid maybe but we all do that

Comment

Working...
                              X