Why é becomes é when file FTP'ed from Remote Server to IFS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why é becomes é when file FTP'ed from Remote Server to IFS

We have a French partner who transmits some special characters such as é in their file, the problem is this converts to é when file is recieved on IFS, Is there a way we may know the Format that Partner is Using (Latin-1 or UTF-8)?
    eg word Asmodée converts to Asmodée on IFS.
    Young people knows how to run fast but old people knows the way..

Re: Why é becomes é when file FTP'ed from Remote Server to IFS

How are you receiving the file on the IFS? Through FTP?

Edit: Bad missed that part in the subject. Perhaps the FTP script needs a "ebcdic" or "ebc" or "bin" to be added in prior to the transfer of the file to ensure that it transfers it using ebcdic encoding.
    Last edited by vikramx; September 16, 2011, 01:41 AM.

Comment

Thanks Vikram !!

Can it be determined what format was used while sending the file ?

Regards,
      Pramendra

Comment

Maybe you can check the CCSID of the IFS file to determine this.

Comment

Yeah Vikram , I checked in our IFS CCSID is 819 . I think this represent the format in which it is stored on our IFS .

I want to know what format it was sent to us .

Regards,
          Pramendra

Comment

Not sure if you can determine that unless the customer tells you that. Then again, perhaps a more experienced member can enlighten us both.

Comment

I think the file has been encoded using UTF-8

try this:
              Code:
              CHGATR OBJ('file') ATR(*CCSID) VALUE(1208)
              Nicolas

Comment

thanks Vazymimil!
                The file shows correctly after above command but how does it confirms that file was encoded using UTF-8?

Thanks

Comment

The fact that ASCII characters are correctly displayed through ccsid 819 and non ascii characters displayed as multiple 'signs' strongly suggests that.

Another clue would have been a "" at the beginning of the file, this is call Byte Order Mark. Some soft use it to indicate UTF8 encoding (which is not recommended), but as you didn't mention it I assume it's not in your file.

The only way to be sure is getting the information from your Partner, the better would be to have them add 'quote type ccsid 1208' to their ftp script to make your i create the file with the relevant CCSID
                  Nicolas

Comment

Thanks!

Comment

Hi All,
                      1). Can somebody tell me...how can I covert an ASCII file to UTF8 manually??
                      2). Also, one more question...If special character is present in the XML file, then how encoding should be done, to make sure....it process successfully at other end?

Comment

Working...
                      X