ibmi-brunch-learn

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Issue trying to access Authorization header in restful web service.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Issue trying to access Authorization header in restful web service.

I'm working on a project which has restful web services on the iSeries (the part I manage) and a Microsoft solution (our clients IT team manages). Using GET and POST we call the others system to get and update information on the other side. On the iSeries side I'm using HTTPAPI to send requests to our client and have an IBM HTTP server to process their requests to us. Recently as part of a security requirement they introduced the need for an Authorization header that would be required to help secure the endpoints. Easy enough to send them an Authorization header in HTTPAPI I used the following.

Code:
    rc = http_xproc( HTTP_POINT_ADDL_HEADER : %paddr(add_headers) );
    And added procedure

Code:
    P add_headers     B                                            
    D                 PI                                           
    D   headers                  32767a   varying                  
    D CRLF            C                   x'0d25'                  
    D token           s           1024a   varying                  

/free                                                       

token = %trim(HeaderAuth);                                

headers = 'Accept: application/json; charset=utf-8' + CRLF
                 + 'Authorization: ' + token + CRLF;               
       /end-free                                                   
    P                 E
    Now my issue is the reverse scenario. How can I get that Authorization header to validate it matches what they should be sending us? I'm using the IBM HTTP server with ScriptAlias to point to my RPG programs.

Code:
    ScriptAlias /vehicle /qsys.lib/mylib.lib/veh010r.pgm
    <Directory /qsys.lib/mylib.lib>
       SetEnv QIBM_CGI_LIBRARY_LIST "MYLIB;YAJLLIB;QGPL;QTEMP"
       Order Allow,Deny
       Allow from all
    </Directory>
    I have used "getenv" or QtmhGetEnv to get the variables REQUEST_METHOD or CONTENT_TYPE and have used the following to add headers to the response.

Code:
    QtmhWrStout(headers:  %len(headers):  err);
    Any information on how to read the request headers or specifically the Authorization header from a request whether it is a GET or POST would be greatly appreciated.

Normally Apache passes headers as enviroment variables in the form of HTTP_XXXX where XXXX is the header name in all caps with any dashes converted to underscores.

so you would do something like getenv('HTTP_AUTHORIZATION') to get the authorization header.

Comment

Your program can?t see the authorization information. Apache passes the headers along to the program thru environment variables, but it does not pass along the authorization. This is not just Apache on IBM i. I have found posts on the Web where people on other systems ask how to retrieve the token value into their programs. If I understand correctly, you will need another server to handle authorization.

Comment

Working...
      X