AS400 Automation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AS400 Automation

I am new with automating AS400 and my manager wants to know if it is possible to make a command on AS400 that will trigger a vlook up search on an excel file and showing a message box after performing a command. The Customer ID will be used as the unique identifier and once the field has been placed with an information, the user will just trigger a command and a message box or an alert will show with the information based on the excel sheet. Is this even possible? we use IBM iSeries with a subsystem of QINTER

Yes. In multiple ways. If you are familiar with PHP, Python or Java then all have libraries that would facilitate this and all will run on the IBM i (which is the current name for what you refer to as AS/400). If an RPG-based solution is required then look at Scott Klements port of POI http://scottklement.com/poi/ which will give you all you need. You could also take the Excel and have it output as a CSV which could then be easily converted via CPYFMIMPF to a regular database which could then be queried by SQL, RPG or whatever.

Since we don't know your skill set it is difficult to make a definitive suggestion. But IBM i is a modern computer system that can run just about anything.

Comment

Working...
    X