Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RDi outline view empty due to syntax errors

Hello,

I've recently started using RDi as as per everyone on here has suggested, it's really good.

One thing I love and I find really helpful is the Outline View which details the prototypes, subroutines and stuff however on some sources mine is blank - after a bit of research the suggestion seems to be that syntax errors can stop the outline view from working... Is there a way around this?

For example, this RGPLE program only has this error and the Outline view is empty;

Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.png
Views:	0
Size:	14.4 KB
ID:	147526

I think the issue might be something to do with CCSID - SEU moans about this also and if you put a £ in, it stops moaning so I guess RDi would do the same but I'm in read-only mode.

Is there a way to make RDi ignore this error so the Outline View will be displayed? Renaming this parameter isn't a feasible resolution I'm afraid.

Regards,
    Ryan

You don't mention what CCSID you're set to, but I'm not seeing this on my installation of RDi.

Are you on the latest version of RDi?

Cheers,

Emmanuel

Comment

Hi Emmanuel,

Not sure how you'd set it within RDi, my user profile is 285 and the system is 65535 - I guess since it's probably using ODBC or JDBC it's using the system default?

My RDi version is 9.5.1.0

Thanks,
      Ryan

Comment

That CCSID mismatch is likely the issue; I think it's a bad thing to have the system CCSID set to 65535 - the good news is that it's something that can be changed in the middle of the day with no ill effects, assuming you set it to a correct value. (We're in the US, and ours is set to 37.) See a discussion of changing it mid-day at midrange.com.

Your version of RDi is pretty recent, but it's not the latest.

Cheers,

Emmanuel

Comment

Hey Ryan

I have seen this 3-4 times on source members that I have opened in the past 2 weeks since loading RDi 9.6. Before that, maybe just 2 times in the past ca. 8 years.
          Last edited by kitvb1; February 23, 2018, 02:12 AM. Reason: Fix typo - should read RDi 9.6
          Regards

Kit
          http://www.ecofitonline.com
          DeskfIT - ChangefIT - XrefIT

Comment

Hi Emmanuel,

Due to how my place works, I''m afraid changing the CCSID's of our boxes isn't feasible here but thanks for clarifying.

====

Hi Kit,

Sounds like it could be something to do with 9.5 then? I can't see how a standalone field can stop the entire outline view from working, seems a bit flaky to me.

Cheers,
            Ryan

Comment

The problem lies in the $ character. If you replace it with a £ I think it would work.

I know the problem when using code that uses CCSID 37.
              For CCSID 277 the $ character in variables should be replaced by the letter Å and
              the character # should be replaced by the letter Æ.
              Not to mention the letter @ that should be replaced by the letter Ø.

Regards
              Peder

Comment

Hey Ryan

Sorry, I had a typo. Loaded RDi 9.6 2 weeks ago.

Our case is the @ is used as the 1st character in many field names, and especially display format names in thousands of programs ans the source files are CCSID 37 while our system is 273. Our replacement for @ is then §.
                Regards

Kit
                http://www.ecofitonline.com
                DeskfIT - ChangefIT - XrefIT

Comment

Working...
                X