Max rows in a physical file

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Max rows in a physical file

Hi guys, how can I verify if a PF was compiled with *nomax or not?
    By default I saw that a PF may contain 10.000 rows with the possibility to extend to 13.000

And the second question can I change this with CHGPF? if it wasn't compiled with the parm *NOMAX

I believe you're confusing the maximum member parameter with the maximum rows (records) parameter. There is no *NOMAX value for the latter - the values range from: 1-2147483646 and defaults to 10000.

You can determine the current value with DSPF.

This value (or the maximum members value) can be changed via CHGPF.

Cheers,

Emmanuel

Comment

I talk about the initial number of records but I think I found in DSPFD the parametere

Comment

Originally posted by EmmanuelW1 View Post
        1-2147483646
        Not quite, the maximum number of rows a physical file (or SQL table) can have is 4.2 Billion (the double!), but the maximum size an (unpartitioned) table/pysical file can have is 1.7 tera byte.

Birgitta

Comment

Birgitta,

Yeah, I guess I was wrong - you can indeed specify *NOMAX on the SIZE parameter of the CRTPF/CHGPF commands.

Sorry 'bout that.

Cheers,

Emmanuel

Comment

Isn't there another consideration to do with access path sizes if a file has logicals or something? Not 100% about this but we recently got CPF5272 errors when a physical file hit 1TBish and as far as I can recall that was the maximum size for access paths, so we had to work around that.
            So I guess the maximums of 4.2 billion/1.7 terabyte apply to physicals without logicals?

Comment

Indexes and logical files are separate objects (but linked with the table/physical file).
              The maximum size of an index (on a non partitioned table) is currently also 1,7 Terabyte.
              If the limit of an index is reached, it is not possible to add new rows to the underlying table/physical file.
              Otherwise you can add around 1500 indexes to a table / physical file

(see Appendix a in the SQL Reference - https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/ssw_ibm_i_73/db2/rbafzlimtabs.htm )

Birgitta

Comment

Working...
              X