File Lock on display screens

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• File Lock on display screens

I always have been battling this issue so I thought I would ask to see how everyone else is dealing with it. So lets say I made a display change. I cannot compile it or put it into production b/c the object is always being used by a user. SO I either have to kick out the users, wait till its not being used ( almost never ) or put it in a library above the current one. So I want to somehow just do a BANG there it is kind of thing. Anyone else got a slick idea ?

Thanks

Have a version a and b of the display. Users are using version a, duplicate a to b, make your changes to b change your program to use b and compile. Shortly all users will be on b. Either document this so next time you go back to a or go back and clean it up by duplicating b back to a and switching back and deleting b.

Comment

ya that's what I kind of do for some of the files. Just wondering if there was a new trick IBM released or something.

Comment

I've heard some developers always CRTDUPOBJ the DSPF to QTEMP and OVRDSPF override to it in CL before calling RPG, so no one is actually using the production version. Then easier to replace.

Comment

hmm.. I like that idea. That's a good solution for some of the "heavy" hitting display files.... Great Idea for a Monday morning.. Thanks a million.

Comment

Ah, Mr Ted Holt had the same idea years ago, perhaps that's where I saw it, years ago.
            If you recompile a program while someone’s running it, it’s no big deal. The system moves the old object into library QRPLOBJ and the user never knows the difference. However, creating a display file is a different situation. You can’t replace a display while someone has a lock on it. Here’s a way to replace

Comment

I think I saw this in MAPICS years ago. I didn't use the technique myself, as replacing display files during working hours was never a big requirement anywhere I worked. I ran it in Four Hundred Guru because "R" wrote to me about it.

Comment

That's what change management is for - to schedule changes at appropriate times....

Comment

Working...
                X