RSTDSP(*YES) alternative

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RSTDSP(*YES) alternative

I have an RPG program , PGMA that displays a record format and then if the user presses F4, it calls another RPG program, PGMB that displays a subfile from which a selection can be made. Upon return to PGMA, part of the subfile from PGMB is displayed at the bottom of the format displayed by PGMA. I can prevent this by compiling the DSPF that PGMA uses with RSTDSP(*YES). Is there another way to accomplish this using keywords in the DDS? The reason being is because we use a change management too that doesn't handle custom create parameters very well

A couple of ideas...

1) If PGMB is a window, you can specify RMVWDW (with an indicator) in its display file. See a RMVWDW example here: http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/html/a...bafpmst434.htm (It also works if the two screens are in separate programs).

2) You can create a format that consists of blanks in PGMA, covering the part of the screen where the remnants of the subfile appear. Then, when you have returned from PGMB, WRITE this format, thereby blanking the portion of the screen you don't want to see. It's a bit clumsy, I know, but it gets the job done.

Comment

Add this record to your Display File DDS. You don't need to execute it...just recompile your DSPF (without RSTDSP) and compile your program to see if it works...
      Code:
      *        Dummy record to preserve screen for popup windows      *
                R DUMMY                                                
                                            ASSUME                     
                                       24 79' '

Comment

Terry --

An ASSUME record prevents the PGMA display from being cleared off when PGMB launches. I don't think it has any influence when PGMB returns?

Comment

• Terry Wincheste
          Terry Wincheste commented
          Editing a comment
          Strange, I never seem to have problems like this because I always code a dummy record in every display file. Have never had the need to use RSTDSP. Some of our screens make over 3 nested interactive calls (normal windows, subfile screens and windows, etc.) and they always seem to return to normal using this method

Originally posted by Alan S. Binkow View Post
        A couple of ideas...

1) If PGMB is a window, you can specify RMVWDW (with an indicator) in its display file. See a RMVWDW example here: http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/html/a...bafpmst434.htm (It also works if the two screens are in separate programs).

2) You can create a format that consists of blanks in PGMA, covering the part of the screen where the remnants of the subfile appear. Then, when you have returned from PGMB, WRITE this format, thereby blanking the portion of the screen you don't want to see. It's a bit clumsy, I know, but it gets the job done.
        (1) No, PGMB does not display a window

(2) That sound like it will work

Comment

Originally posted by Alan S. Binkow View Post
          A couple of ideas...

Suggestion #2 worked

Comment

• gregwga50
            gregwga50 commented
            Editing a comment
            I wonder if there is something I can change in PGMB. I have to change a lot of programs to call PGMB. It would be easier to change PGMB, if possible, then I would only have to make the change once instead of every program that calls PGMB

Originally posted by gregwga50 View Post
          The reason being is because we use a change management too that doesn't handle custom create parameters very well
          Does it allow post-creation commands? After creation, you might run CHGDSPF RSTDSP(*YES).

What is the CMS? Maybe someone has a suggestion. Not being able to set creation parameters would seem to be a serious limitation.
          Tom

There are only two hard things in Computer Science: cache invalidation, naming things and off-by-one errors.

Why is it that all of the instruments seeking intelligent life in the universe are pointed away from Earth?

Comment

I'm curious, which Change Management System is it?
            Regards

Kit
            http://www.ecofitonline.com
            DeskfIT - ChangefIT - XrefIT

Comment

The DDS equivalent of RSTDSP(*YES) is USRRSTDSP if that helps any.

Ringer

Comment

Originally posted by CRinger400 View Post
                The DDS equivalent of RSTDSP(*YES) is USRRSTDSP if that helps any.
                Actually, it's just the opposite. RSTDSP(*YES) will automatically restore a display file if it was suspended by another display file (usually a window display), whereas USRRSTDSP tells the system not to automatically restore the display file if it is overlaid with a window. Here's the help text from the RSTDSP parameter and the text from the DDS manual for the USRRSTDSP keyword:

Restore display (RSTDSP) - Help *YES
                The data being shown when this file is suspended is saved, and it is restored to the device display when the file is used again.
                USRRSTDSP (User Restore Display) keyword for display files
                You use this record-level keyword on a window record to specify that the application will manage the display.
                If this keyword is not specified, the system saves and restores the underlying display when a window record is displayed.

Comment

Working...
                X