ibmi-brunch-learn

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DDM files, IASPs, and Relational Database - oh, my!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DDM files, IASPs, and Relational Database - oh, my!

We have a POWER 8 HA system that is set up in the following manner:

Three LPARS, each with an IASP:

LPAR Usage Name of LPAR/Name of IASP
    Production IPROD/IASP1
    Development IDEV/IASP1
    Web Server IWEB/WIASP1

In our production environment, we have a DDM file in the IASP of the web server that uses *RDB to point to a file in the IASP of the production LPAR:
    • On IPROD, in IASP1: MYLIBRARY/MYFILE
    • On IWEB, in WIASP1: a DDM file MYLIBRARY/MYDDMFILE that points to MYLIBRARY/MYFILE on IPROD.
    We want to create a test environment to mimic this.
    • On IDEV, in IASP1: MYLIBRARY/MYFILE
    • On IWEB, in WIASP1: MYTESTLIBRARY/MYTESTDDMFILE that points to MYLIBRARY/MYFILE on IDEV.
    The problem is that the name of the IASP is the same on both IPROD and IDEV, and I already have one relational database entry for IASP1 on IWEB that points to IPROD. How can I create an entry for the IASP1 on the IDEV LPAR? Any ideas, or known workarounds?

I guess I don't understand the problem - you don't need a RDBDIRE to create a DDM file.

Cheers,

Emmanuel

Comment

Originally posted by EmmanuelW1 View Post
      I guess I don't understand the problem - you don't need a RDBDIRE to create a DDM file.

Cheers,

Emmanuel
      Thanks for the response, Emmanuel - can you illustrate how you would create the DDM file in this case?

Comment

I'm taking a look at this IBM Support Technote titled DDM/DRDA considerations for accessing an iASP. It reads,

When the target DDM server is configured to use ASP groups, and the DDM file specifies a relational database name, the relational database entry specified in the DDM file on the client is used to establish the ASP group for the target job.

When using a DDM file that does not specify a relational database name, the target job's ASP group is established using the initial ASP group attribute in the job description for the user profile that the target job is running under.

For DRDA, it is recommended to not rely on the initial ASP group attribute (INLASPGRP) on the connecting user's job description to establish the ASP group for an IBM i application server job. The INLASPGRP attribute can be set on Create Job Description (CRTJOBD) and Change Job Description (CHGJOBD) commands; However, the attribute may not be used for DRDA depending on the application requester's (AR) configuration, such as the security mechanism negotiated for the incoming connection. Therefore, it is recommended to configure the AR to specify the relational database name of the ASP group when connecting over DRDA.
        So I created my DDM file on IWEB using the command CRTDDMF FILE(MYTESTLIBRARY/MYTESTDDMFILE) RMTFILE(MYLIBRARY/MYFILE) RMTLOCNAME(IDEV.MYDOMAIN.COM *IP) TEXT('test DDM file')

Then I tried a DFU over MYTESTLIBRARY/MYTESTDDMFILE, and received the messages:

DDM object MYTESTDDMFILE in MYTESTLIBRARY uses remote object MYLIBRARY/MYFILE.
        Library MYLIBRARY not found.

The job description for the user profile that the target job is running under doesn't consider the iASP. I see that the job on the target system that handles the remote object processing is 292571/QUSER/QRWTSRVR. This job uses the QDFTSVR job description in QGPL, which has the initial ASP group set to *NONE. So it makes perfect sense that a library in the iASP can't be found.

I don't think it's a good idea to change the QDFTSVR job description. Is it a good idea to change the job description for DRDA prestart job QRWTSRVR? Sounds like it could cause all sorts of problems.

Any thoughts?

Comment

OK, sorry about that - failed to appreciate the added complexity due to the iASP.

But from the link you provided, it sure sounds like you *do* want to use a RDBDIRE entry, as opposed to using job description. (https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledg...bae5crtrdb.htm)

Cheers,

Emmanuel

Comment

No problem, Emmanuel - the iASP does add complexity. I agree that it sounds like we should use an RDBDIRE entry, but I don't know if it's possible, since there's already an entry for IASP in the RDB of IWEB.

I was hoping someone knows of a workaround...?

Comment

Thanks.

Are you thinking that you need an additional RDBDIRE for the DDM file? (Not that it would hurt anything to add one, I don't think.)

I think it should be OK to use the existing entry for the DDM file. After all, in the definition of the DDM file, the target file is specified even if using a RDB entry.

Cheers,

Emmanuel

Comment

Working...
              X