ibmi-brunch-learn

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does the XML column type use DB2 PureXML?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does the XML column type use DB2 PureXML?

DB2 on many platforms including iSeries allows tables with columns with the XML data type - the column holds XML data that can be referenced in SQL using XMLTABLE to directly reference specific XML tags.

The Wikipedia page on pureXML says that for DB2 on Windows, Unix, Linux, and z/OS the XML data is stored parsed, so that search/lookup is fast and efficient.
    This old ITJungle article says that for iSeries, XMLTABLE has to dynamically parse the XML document each time: https://www.itjungle.com/2012/06/13/fhg061312-story02/

I can't find anything else that says one way or the other if the efficient XML processing on other platforms was ever brought to DB2 for iSeries.

Does anyone know one way or the other, if XMLTABLE on iSeries used the efficient pureXML process like z/OS, or if it still has to parse each time?

At least information stored in the XML column is stored in an internal optimized format.
    Whether the XMLTABLE is based on pureXML or not is not known (or at least I do not know). ... but I assume IBM will not reinvent the wheel twice.
    You may check whether you find more detailed information in the IBM i Database SQL XML Programming White paƶer

Birgitta

Comment

Working...
    X