Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Losing my mind: OVRDBF

Hello,

I've lurked here and there and usually can find a resolution to my issue but this time I'm stuck.
    I have gotten around it my explicitly specifying QTEMP as the library but I am wondering why the OVRDBF command below doesn't work with the CLRPFM?

This is an extract of my program, &QTEMP = 'Y';

Code:
    IF         COND(&QTEMP = 'Y') THEN(DO)                   

CRTDUPOBJ  OBJ(RAMERREPWF) FROMLIB(RAREPORTS) +          
                 OBJTYPE(*FILE) TOLIB(QTEMP) CST(*NO) TRG(*NO)
    MONMSG     MSGID(CPF2130)                                
    OVRDBF     FILE(RAMERREPWF) TOFILE(QTEMP/RAMERREPWF) +   
                 MBR(*FIRST) OVRSCOPE(*JOB)                  
    ENDDO                                                    

CLRPFM     FILE(RAMERREPWF)
    However my joblog looks like this;

Code:
    RAMERREP FROM(120117) TO(010317) MAIL(N) QTEMP(Y)     
    Object RAMERREPWF in QTEMP type *FILE already exists. 
    0 objects duplicated. 1 objects not duplicated.       
    [B]Member RAMERREPWF file RAMERREPWF in RAREPORTS cleared.[/B]
    Extract sucessful.
    So it fails to duplicate, that's fine I monitor for that error.
    However the CLRPFM clears the workfile in RAREPORTS, which is the library I copied the object from.

RAREPORTS is first in my library list
    QTEMP is second.

I've spend too long on Google and IBM's website which states this;
    Note: The override cannot be used for all commands. A list of
    the commands that cannot be overridden, along with more
    information on overriding files is in the Files and file systems
    category in the IBM i Information Center at
    http://www.ibm.com/systems/i/infocenter/.

But as usual, IBM's website is a mess and I am unable to find what commands don't work - I'm starting to think it CLRPFM doesn't work but wanted to confirm that is the case or learn what I have done wrong for the future.

Thanks in advance,
    Ryan

CLRPFM ignores overrides.

This may be the link you're looking for:

Some commands ignore overrides entirely, while others allow overrides only for certain parameters.

Comment

Since the program doesn't "open" the file, I wouldn't expect CLRPFM to be affected by OVRDBF. But this thread makes me wonder about possible implications for RUNSQL SQL('delete from mylib/myfile'), i.e., no WHERE clause. Is there currently a possibility that CLRPFM gets used? If so, is OVRDBF still ineffective?
      Tom

There are only two hard things in Computer Science: cache invalidation, naming things and off-by-one errors.

Why is it that all of the instruments seeking intelligent life in the universe are pointed away from Earth?

Comment

The SQL Delete from "file" will work. I do it all the time. So you can do it in the CL or RPGLE program first thing or run an sql script.

Comment

It's possible to write programs that ignore overrides, and I think IBM does that frequently with their tools.

After all, instead of using OVRDBF, you could've just as easily have specified the appropriate library/file/member on the CLRPFM. What value do you gain by using an override?

On the other hand, overrides can very easily be left active by mistake -- especially those specified at the *JOB level. So it could be very dangerous to apply an override to CLRPFM or DLTF, etc.

Comment

Apologies for the late reply, had account issues - thanks for confirming the CLRPFM.

Regarding the SQL query, I use RUNSQL in the same program, without a library qualifier and it updates the QTEMP library despite the original object being higher in my library list - which is why I couldn't understand the CLRPFM not doing the same.

Comment

Scott Klement - You're right, there is no specific gained value here but there are numerous ways to skin a cat and this achieves a similar result. Manually specifying the library would involve me changing the numerous SQL scripts in the program and I'm too lazy for that!

Comment

I was only trying to explain that CLRPFM ignores overrides, and that there are many other IBM-supplied commands that also do. I was not suggesting that you change any of your code that already works...

Comment

Working...
                X