Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Get JOBLOG for all user

Hi There,

I am trying to get the job log for all the user's who logged into the iSeries system and to prepare a report.
    So in this report all details will come about what a specific person has done during his login time. I need to get this done for all user's who logged in to the system.

How can I do that, is there any API's which will do this. It does not matter whether I write this in RPGLE or in CLLE.

Thanks in advance...!!!

Thanks,
    NIL
    Cheers...
    Nil

Joblogs might not be particularly useful for telling what any given user "has done during his login time". They are very good, however, at telling you what messages have been logged to (and not removed from) a job's external message queue. Still, they are usually good indications of the general progress of a job.

Primarily, joblogs are useful for logging error conditions. Often, if no errors are encountered, there might be nothing logged other than perhaps an initial *RQS (request") message. It's mostly up to the programming to determine if any messages at all are logged. Most commonly, programs simply let settings that are in effect at the time they run determine the messages that remain.

First item to consider is your definition of "login". What server logins are you wanting to track? FTP? Telnet? Database? SSH? Remote command? One or more of the various other "logins" that might be done?

And second, do you want 'spooled joblogs'? Or do you want to capture jobs' external message queues at the end of jobs so that the capture happens even if no 'joblog' is spooled? That might be tricky in cases of "wrapped joblogs". If you want 'spooled joblogs', what exactly do you want? Are you simply interested in having 'login' spooled joblogs being collected into a particular *OUTQ in case someone wants to review one at a later time? How long do you want to keep the spooled files? (How long on the system? And will they be archived?)

Finally, are you aware of the sheer volume of messages that can be collected from 'all' logins?
    Tom

There are only two hard things in Computer Science: cache invalidation, naming things and off-by-one errors.

Why is it that all of the instruments seeking intelligent life in the universe are pointed away from Earth?

Comment

If you need information about the currently active jobs, you need to find out these jobs first.
      IBM provides an UDTF (User Defined Table Functions): ACTIVE_JOB_INFO for filtering the jobs in case (and for getting the qualified job names).

As soon as you selected the qualified jobs, you can call a second UDTF: JOBLOG_INFO for getting the Joblog for a specific job.
      The JOBLOG_INFO table function returns one row for each message in a job log.

Birgitta

Comment

Working...
      X