Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• *SCS printers with Overlays to PDF

Hello,

I have been asked to complete a project to automate the emailing of Purchase Orders to Vendors and have been asked to spend as little money as possible (if any).

We do not have InfoPrint Server or any other AFP facilities on the system.

I had read somewhere that it is possible to create and send an overlay (from MS Word for example) from a PC to the iSeries and to attach this to a Printer file (I have done this element but obviosuly cannot test the outcome) and to then use a tool to convert the spool file (with the overlay) to .pdf.

I am aware there are several products that do PDF conversion and in fact the company already uses PdfFactory but that does not work in my case. I also read somewhere that Gumbo Spoolmail will do what I want. However, on trying a demo version of the softare, I cannot achieve it.

When I take the option to SNDSPLMAIL, I keep getting a message that says my overlay cannot be found (even though it is present). I am unsure if this is because I have made a basic error somewhere, when creating the overlay, or if the product (and in fact any product) is able to do what I want.

Is what I want to do possible with AFP functions ?

I am aware that IBM Infoprint Server could/would solve all my problems but the budget is a major issue.

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Re: *SCS printers with Overlays to PDF

Originally posted by kieranohagan

When I take the option to SNDSPLMAIL, I keep getting a message that says my overlay cannot be found (even though it is present). I am unsure if this is because I have made a basic error somewhere, when creating the overlay, or if the product (and in fact any product) is able to do what I want.
    It's been a while since I dealt with overlays. One thing I would suggest looking at is to make sure the library that contains the overlay is present in the job which performs the SNDSPLMAIL. At least, thats what your error kind of sounds like. It seems like the SNDSPLMAIL is looking for that overlay, and simply doesnt see it, which sounds like the library the overlay exists in isnt in the jobs library list.
    Michael Catalani
    IS Director, eCommerce & Web Development
    Acceptance Insurance Corporation
    www.AcceptanceInsurance.com
    www.ProvatoSys.com

Comment

Re: *SCS printers with Overlays to PDF

Michael,

Thanks for the reply. In fact it was even more basic than your thought. The Overlay had not been created (even though I was certain I had seen it with my own eyes), it had failed due to an error CPD88C0. After trawling through lots of stuff online, I eventually came across someone who suggested adding the TRNTBL(*NONE) parameter into the copy from PC Document statement 'CPYFRMPCD FROMFLR(OVERLAYS) TOFILE(KOHLIB/TESTOVR) FROMDOC(TESTOVR.PRN) TRNTBL(*NONE)' and it worked.

I now have my overlays working in a very basic form and am more than happy.

Thanks again.

Kieran

Comment

Working...
      X