Connect AS/400 to home network

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Connect AS/400 to home network

I'm a retired AS/400 guy. I had been on the platform since it was code named Silverlake, but as a programmer, not an operator or network administrator. Just for fun I picked up an older model iSeries 9406 off of that well known auction site. I thought it would be cool to play around with at home, maybe learn something new without any deadlines or annoying project management. It's running V5R2. It has a lot of software on it like the HTTP server, TCP/IP utilities, WebSphere, iSeries Access, etc. I was wondering if it was possible to connect it to my home wifi network. I'd like to be able to use something like TN5250 running in the Chrome browser instead of the old mono terminal. The machine already has what looks like a couple of ethernet cards. One is marked 2849. My computers run Linux, although I could use Window. Can anyone give me a clue how to do something like that, or where to look for help? Thanks.

I've never heard of an iSeries system with a WiFi card. You'd most likely need to use the ethernet card.

Comment

Perhaps an option would be to use an access point bridge (APB) / media bridge. The basic idea is that you would plug it into the Ethernet port of the machine, and you would then connect wireless to your wireless router.

I've used these for years for a few old desktops that I have laying around that did not have WiFi cards - or even as an alternative to putting in a WiFi card, as there are generally no driver issues with these, since the Ethernet card thinks that it is hard-wired.

But I have not tried this with an IBM i.

Examples of products that I've used are
      (2.4Ghz - Wireless N)

(5Ghz - Wireless AC)
      Commerce Cloud Storefront Reference Architecture

If you decide to go this route, I'll be interested in hearing your results.

Comment

• dandevoe
        dandevoe commented
        Editing a comment
        I've also used this technique to connect old TVs that have Ethernet ports but no built-in WiFi

This works... IBM i ethernet card --> switch --> WiFi or dLan.
      Regards

Kit
      http://www.ecofitonline.com
      DeskfIT - ChangefIT - XrefIT

Comment

Working...
      X