IBM PowerHa - Application Compatibility

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IBM PowerHa - Application Compatibility

I am looking to implement Power HA on some new P8's probably 824's maybe 870's with V7000 storage. Before I do I wanted to get real life experiences on implementing the iASP's with the regards of application compatibility. IBM documentation touches very lightly on this aspect, (probably for good reason), but I have yet to find a check list or pre-requisites list. If you ask any software vendor the question, "is your application compatible with iASPs" they have no idea what you are talking about, at least in my experience. So has anyone here implemented it, stories good and bad are welcome, thanks. Compatibility

What vendor doesn't know what an IASP is?!

I'm a vendor, myself, and I had to add IASP support due to customer demand a few years ago.

For the most part, IASPs are transparent to software. If you log on to a session and the IASPs are already mounted and available, then the software doesn't really need to do anything special... just access them like any other library. The problerm comes when the software acts as a server (i.e. doesn't run in a normal session where the user has logged on and set things up before running the software) and therefore must configure the IASPs itself. Or, when you try to install the vendor's software itself into an IASP and then don't have the IASP available when it needs it.

In our case, our software is indeed a server software, so I had to add code to set the ASP groups. It wasn't a very big change, really.

Comment

Thanks for your reply, I'm really talking about well established systems that been used for many years on a "generic AS400" with no iASP, and trying to understand the complexity and effort needed to move the correct objects to the iASP and separating the others that cannot reside in the iASP. When I spoke to one of the main vendors, (a major warehousing systems provider), they could not confirm if their package software was compatible or not. With this information and the known amount of customisation that had taken place since it had been implemented, the decision was to continue with "traditional" replication using tools such as Quick EDD. Now we are upgrading again this time to P8's with V7000's we are considering PowerHA once more. I think my concern is that if the vendor doesn't know, it doesn't necessary follow the application isn't compatible but the effort greater given the unknown.

I am also trying to understand if any one had any experience of issues with system connectivity after implementing iASP's with such as ODBC connections. This day an age as I am sure most are aware it seems the go to method for connecting to the system.

Comment

I don't know of anyone who still uses ODBC... that was a big thing in the 1990's, but does anyone use it today? But, it seems to me it'd have the exact same challenges as any other remote access to the database... so the application would indeed need to connect to the appropriate IASP In that case.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Klement View Post
          I don't know of anyone who still uses ODBC... that was a big thing in the 1990's, but does anyone use it today? But, it seems to me it'd have the exact same challenges as any other remote access to the database... so the application would indeed need to connect to the appropriate IASP In that case.
          The optional packages for IBM's iACS include ODBC support for Linux and Windows, so I'd guess people still do it.

Comment

Working...
          X