Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XML encoding

Hi all,

I wonder if you can point me in the right direction here. I have a process to create some XML documents to be sent to an external application. In the main this works with UTF-8 encoding. I have an issue where some of my data genuinely holds special characters like the German Umlaut etc. This fails translation at the server end because it's not a valid UTF-8 character set.

I've had a bit of a google but can't find anything that points me to the encoding that I should use? Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance

If you use the SQL functions for creating an XML-document it is automatically (per default) converted into UTF-8. No need to convert anything.

Birgitta

Comment

Originally posted by B.Hauser View Post
      If you use the SQL functions for creating an XML-document it is automatically (per default) converted into UTF-8. No need to convert anything.

Birgitta
      Unfortunately I'm not and it's too late in the day to change it now, any other ideas? I've already added a process to escape my special characters, I could expand this to cover all special European characters but I don't want to if I can avoid it.

Comment

How are you creating the XML?

Comment

Hi Scott,

We've got an RPG program that writes to work member, substituting variable names with database field values. We then copy the member to a streamfile and suffix it with ".xml".

For example, I've got a file which defines my XML template..

Code:
          <?xml version="1.0" standalone="no"?>                            
          <!DOCTYPE dcsmergedata SYSTEM "../lib/interface_sku_config.dtd"> 
          <dcsmergedata>                                                   
            <dataheaders>                                                  
              <dataheader transaction=£@SNDTYPE>                           
                <record_type>SKC</record_type>                             
                <config_id>£@CONFIGID</config_id>                          
                <depth_2>£@LENGTH</depth_2>                                
                <each_per_layer>£@LAYER</each_per_layer>                   
                <height_2>£@HEIGHT</height_2>                              
                <layer_height>£@LAYERHI</layer_height>                     
          My RPG program searches and replaces the "£@" variable names with the database values.

Comment

I'm looking for details about how the data gets translated between character sets. All you've told us is "We then copy the member to a streamfile" which is a very broad desciption. Can you show us the exact code used to copy it?

Comment

Working...
            X