Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SSH to iSeries problem

Hi,

This is my first time posting on Code400 although I have used the site for several years now

We have an iSeries machine on 7.1 which already has an OpenSSH server running on it and I have been tasked with figuring out how to connect our PCs to it as well as eventually connecting one iSeries to another to do SFTP. I have been trying on and off for weeks now and despite following multiple guides online and being able to connect fine, I just cannot login.

In my latest attempts to get it working (using puTTY on PC to our iSeries), I have taken the following set up steps:
    • Edited sshd_config to allow RSA and password authentication
    • Created .ssh folder in my home directory on iSeries and chmodded to 644
    • Created authorized_keys file in .ssh folder as codepage 819 and chmodded to 700
    • Created RSA2 key pair using puTTYgen
    • Added public key to authorized_keys
    • Configured puTTY to use private key and connect as my username

When I open the connection I get the following output:
    Code:
    Using username "BLAH".
    Welcome! Please login.
    Server refused our key
    SSH server: password
    Using keyboard-interactive authentication.
    Enter password for BLAH
    Password:
    If I enter my correct password, I get this:
    Code:
    Access denied
    SSH server: password
    Using keyboard-interactive authentication.
    Enter password for BLAH
    Password:
    So it seems that as well as refusing my key, it will not even accept a legitimate password either. I have also tried connecting from another iSeries and Chrome's Secure Shell app with exactly the same output so this makes me think the problem is on the server-side. It is all the more frustrating as I have done this loads of times with Linux machines and never had any problems!

Has anyone had any similar issue to this and found a solution? Or does anyone have any suggestions of things to try? I have read on some forums about checking the log file for errors but they never mention where it is and I cannot find it so does anyone know where this will be?!

Thanks in advance for any help

Re: SSH to iSeries problem

How long is the userid that you are trying to sign in with? Is it more than 8 charaters long?

Comment

Working...
    X