ibmi-brunch-learn

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ChangefIT versus Turnover - Has anyone got any comparison notes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ChangefIT versus Turnover - Has anyone got any comparison notes?

I would love to see the pro's and con's of ChangefIt versus other major players - Softlanding or Aldon?
    predictably positive, permanently punctilious, purposely proactive, potentially priceless, primarily professional : projex

Re: ChangefIT versus Turnover - Has anyone got any comparison notes?

I have used Softlandings Turnover and have researched most of the other players quite a bit a few years ago (though Changefit wasn't one of them) - I like Midrange Dynamic's Change Management System (MDCMS) and MD Open (RDi plugin) - easy to implement, easy to use yet as far as I can tell every bit as powerful as the others. Definitely a LOT cheaper than Turnover, Rocket Software's Aldon Lifecycle Manager or PTC Application Lifecycle - no comparison.

Unlike their competitors, Midrangedynamics allows you to install their software for free for proof of concept - they will provide you with installation assistance and technical assistance to accomplish a successful proof of concept. I believe they will not only do change management for IBM i but also other environments as well... though we don't play in that arena so I don't know much about it.

I do know that we were trained on how to use it in an afternoon via a webex - others wanted onsite services for 5 days to implement and train and only one company I visited with would do a proof of concept besides Midrange - that was Remain Software (though they charged a fee). It took less than a week for me to implement with occasional assistance over the phone or email....

I highly highly highly recommend MDCMS & MDOpen (MDCMS is the change management software running on IBM i - MD Open is the RD i plugin, Workflow is a web based product that can be used for overview of the process if desired).

Synergevity is the company that markets the product - http://synergivity.com/ - phone # is 877-290-6714. Give them a call.

BTW - I am a happy customer - not an employee nor get any financial benefit - it's a plug because I have spent hours doing demos and researching change management solutions and wanted to give some insight...
    Last edited by Rocky; June 4, 2015, 09:54 AM.

Comment

Thanks Rocky - I will check it out!
      predictably positive, permanently punctilious, purposely proactive, potentially priceless, primarily professional : projex

Comment

Pro's
        1. Installation takes 5 minutes.
        2. Thereafter, you can be productively using ChangefIT within 15 minutes. We have offered new customers a free Teamviewer session, but no-one has ever needed it.
        3. We have a fully-functional free version with a license duration of 99 months. This is an older release, ChangefIT v2.31, so some newer features are not built in. Here's the list. http://ecofitonline.com/shopen/conte...Tfeatures.html
        4. Alternatively, there is also a 60-day free trial of the latest version available.
        5. After every new release, a free webcast explaining and demonstrating all the new features and upgrades is held. There is normally lots of time afterwards so we answer questions of new users of our products.
        6. Cost: ChangefIT costs literally less than 10% the price of some of the named products. You want to know the price? Look at our website, it's on there... we are not afraid to give you straight talk. No salesman phone calls, or different configuration costs more, etc. We have openly stated our pricing policy, even on this site. Last year, we had no price increase as we felt that what was released in ChangefIT v2.43 and DeskfIT v1.14 did not warrant a price increase. With the release of ChangefIT v2.44 (on Monday, 08 June 2015), we will be implementing a modest price increase.
        7. Support: To date, we have never had a critical error. When we have had errors that required a PTF, the PTF has been issued within 5 hours of the call having been placed.

Con's.
        1. No RDi interface - this is planned for next year. Personally, I don't even find this a bother as I develop using RDi and use a 5250 session to check-out/check-in.
        2. No deployment system to deploy to multiple systems - this is planned for after ChangefIT for RDi.

In summary, it depends on your site requirements. If you require CO/CI of html, js, IFS-based source, or are deploying to multiple systems, then ChangefIT is most likely not for you - unless you're willing to wait a while.

Other than that, we feel that we have a great product with some unique features.
        Last edited by kitvb1; June 5, 2015, 11:20 AM.
        Regards

Kit
        http://www.ecofitonline.com
        DeskfIT - ChangefIT - XrefIT

Comment

Kit,

I'm glad to hear of a company that allows proof of concept - not many allow that in Change Management arena - that was a big selling point for me with MDCMS as I can see it work in my environment - and it was substantially cheaper. I can't compare it to your as I have no way of translating that to American...

A company that allows for proof of concept to me shows a company confident of their product and it's usability - and their concern for me, their potential customer, rather than just their pocketbook...

I say all of this to say GOOD JOB

Comment

Rocky

We are not slick marketing profi's - we are technical guys. And as such we have made a few mistakes along the way.
            One problem is that we had too few redemptions on the free version. i.e. it already has many features *and* it works!! ...so there is no need to upgrade.
            The other problem, is that when we did eventually start charging (only 4 years ago), we started at a low price so as not to frighten existing paying customers away. But, as one customer said to me, "If it's that cheap, it can't be any good". After a year on the free version, they bought all 3 products, ChangefIT, DeskfIT, and XrefIT.
            Regards

Kit
            http://www.ecofitonline.com
            DeskfIT - ChangefIT - XrefIT

Comment

Hi!

I use ChangefIT/DeskfIT/XrefIT since several years now and I'm very satisfied. It does what is made for and it is very fast and stable.
              There are a lot of features and with each version which comes approx. every year, a lot of new useful features are added.
              If there is a problem (which is realy not very often) it is solved in a few hours or over night.

I'm very happy to use this great tool.

Comment

Sadly I have only used turnover. Great tool, supports multiple distributions. Cons; expensive as all hell.
                Hunting down the future ms. Ex DeadManWalks. *certain restrictions apply

Comment

Working...
                X